Register To Comment

Thread: Heavyweight ESC question

BotGuy44
    Hello all, you may have seen my post in wanted about looking for Victor BBs, in the case that we can't get a hold of any really soon (we're on a time crunch) though we're weighing our alternatives, would either of these work for an Ampflow A28-400 running on 48v to power a spinning weapon? https://www.roboteq.com/products/pro...gdc1860-detail

https://www.4qd.co.uk/product/pro-36...-programmable/

we're also looking at the option to use a brushless ESC due to their high current ratings and attractive price, but we don't know which ones could run a brushed motor well. Any help here would be very appreciated, thanks : )

Team Kaizen

Brushless ESC could potentially be reprogrammed to handle brushed but I wouldn't always rely on the peak amperage ratings of them to be accurate.

From sneaking a peak at events, some of the HW roboteers do use RobotEQs though I don't personally know who on the forum uses them. The one you linked looks like it should handle the job mind but I couldn't say for definite. Probably worth asking someone like Jonno from Extreme Robots if he has any experience in using them.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 1st September 2020 at 10:27.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

If you look at brushless ESCs i wouldn't look beyond Vesc's, either the Maytech 200 (maybe a little too low powered) or the trampa vesc 75/300. These are easily programmed for brushed motor control.

I would't necessarily advise looking at that particular Roboteq, they're very big and heavy for our needs. the 4QD is in the same vein, they're both good options but not ideal (the house robots have used 4qd controllers in the past, pretty certain some still do) as they need additional cables and/or interfaces to be able to run them on a radio.

Another option would be to use a contactor with an rc switch, this just turns the motor on and off.

Register To Comment