Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Featherweight first build

Mr Manuva27
    I assume you are using a 3S battery with the Argos drills? Most Linacs are 12v, so you should be fine to run them on the same battery providing you have a big enough mAh battery capacity.

Edit: You are clearly using the drill battery. I assume you are planning on moving over to LiPos, from conversations we have had in the past?

Cheers Andy. Yes still using the drill batteries for now and looking at a 12v Linac so 3S would work for everything when I get round to upgrading to Lipos. Any ideas on battery capacity required to run everything?

Currently the wiring coming from the fuse spilts to go off to the Escs and light at the same point (with linac wire to be added in) is there an easy way of soldering all these together? Currently this point is held together with electrical tape

Hi Ian, Looking like a good test bed.
    Batteries, some people use 2.2amp as a good start with a good high C rating 30 minimum.

I run my 2wd Argos drill bot (with electric axe) from 4s 2.65 turnigy nano-tech 35-70C and it lasts a fight but drops about 70% power. It has since become a bit puffy, so perhaps i over ran that one.Otherwise i use 3.3amp lipo. I have also used a 5s 2.2 amp zippy 40C battery, whjich lasted a 3 minute fight plus half another fight - ran out of time to swap. just depends on how you use it or your driving style.

There is a full calculator online somewhere, but dont know where - perhaps on askaaron?

for joints on big cables, one method - although not the best due to its high resistance, is to use eye crimp terminals and blot them together.
    Another way is to use a junction box such as Wago connectors or chocolate blocks- although not designed for battle knocks and bumps as these can come loose. The best method is to use Y connectors using xt60 see here - or for space saving/weight, use a large watt soldering iron, strip the wire ends, hold together and wrap them with some copper wire. The copper wire helps get heat around the wires and solder them together, then add heatshrink over the join.

links as examples available. other stores/prices are about, i just chose a random link

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/2631...CABEgJJm_D_BwE

Team Kaizen

Looking good so far, reminds me of my first attempt at building a Beetleweight. That was held together with tape as well! :P

Got a few bits on order but was wondering if it’s better to have the weapon on a separate circuit or to have it all powered by one battery?
    As alluded to, provided you have sufficient capacity, you can run it off of one battery unit but it is worth considering, in my opinion anyway, how resilient that will be. Kaizen used to use separate circuits for its weapon and drive but that was largely down to it having the weight to run it. Jibril doesn't and so uses a common circuit.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Thanks all for the helpful comments everyone, they are really appreciated. I’ve got the linac all wired up and successfully working now its currently running off two drill batteries but will upgrade to lipos in the future. I found the askaaron site really helpful thanks Nat.

I’m still playing around with the design, so may change the front scoop to more of a wedge shape but here how it looks at the moment ...

C1420E82-DD6A-4D23-AD15-2E92C2CFFE7F.jpg

Team Kaizen

Looks good, well done so far. How much does it lift?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Thanks. A very crude test with the current drill battery was able to lift around 12kgs (very slowly). Also it couldn’t self right so I need to redesign the shape and positioning of the linac to sort that out

Register To Comment