Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grimlock Middleweight

Hello random bot builders. Right some of you may have seen my new Featherweight Grimlock.

Im making a bigger one.

Using the parts from my old Heavy Luna-Tic I've got a rough CAD and started a mock up out of wood. Its looking about the size of a Heavy, Just the main Chassis is 700mm (not including wheels width). I can make it all smaller BUT the design needs a good width and the Jaws need to be tall enough to get other Middles in.

So I'm after rough sizes of current Middles so I know I can get you all in the Jaws and I'm not wasting room inside. (Grimock is the red one in the middle)

grimlock.jpg

Ta Dad Luna (aka Chris)

Team Kaizen

Hey Chris,

The sizes of the current Middleweights vary a fair bit. Jibril 1.6 was about 700mm long, ~540mm wide and ~350mm high but robots like Backflip and Jackpot are significantly longer and taller/wider and lower respectively. Raphael is about a metre wide and pretty high off the ground.

I would probably say 700mm wide is "not bad" as a starting point.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Ta, well I've ploughed ahead...... Day 1 done, and not much more I can do until parts arrive and I can get the weapon built. Jaws measuring about 55cm when open. Should be enough to grab anything.

XP build 1.jpgXP build 3.jpgXP build 4.jpgXP Build day1 finish.jpg

Looking at how much LESS room it takes up than Heavy Luna-Tic did, it seems be about right. Hopefully it'll be below 55kg when finished.

Obviously, this is all made from wood, I have various recycled metal ready to go when I'm happy with it.

McMullet
    Looks great Chris! I'm impressed by your professionalism in making a prototype...

"professionalism" you really don't know me that well. í ½í¸› More a case of, I can't afford to waste stuff. I can get this "wood" for free. so been prototyping before cutting the expensive stuff. I also badly CAD robot designs, but I offen tend to mess something up. None of my cads look like the final product. Suppose I'm more a hands on builder too.

Happy birthday to whoever that banner's for! Very nice looking prototype, for reference Voodoo 2 was about 220mm tall
    Absolute best of luck building it, I'll be keen to see what comes of it... might have a word at the next Dojo

Ollies birthday. We'll be at Dojo. Doubt the wooden MW will. If not enough room in the car. Not enough room in the pits. I was in two minds to go middle or heavy weight.

Team Kaizen

Looks good so far. I see a TZ85A in there, what is the other controller (I presume it is for the drive?)
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

ESCs get swapped around a lot with my robots. But have the TZ85 for the actuator (until I can get and afford hydraulics) and a very old Sidewinder. Purchased from John Findlay for Heavy Luna-Tic. Came out of Steel Avenger I've been told.

Progress....

Register To Comment