Register To Comment

Thread: What are the current most widely used components?

Hi all!

Dumb questions incoming, please excuse me for them:

Looking at starting a new build within the next year, want to do things properly this time, expecting to spend around £500. Want to keep it simple, hoping to put together an effective pusher/wedge as a first project.

I haven't been around for a few years, and I remember when Gold 24V or Gimson motors were the things to have - what's the current motors I should be looking at in my price range? Preferably with a drop-in drive system available - I hate building transmissions and doubt I'll find the time to learn how to use a CNC to machine a gearbox or tap threads into a wheel. Feel free to tell me off if you think I'm being too lazy there.

How about ESCs? I take it Spektrum are still the standard Tx/Rx systems and LiPos are still the standard battery?

How about chassis build, if I want to stand up to spinners at the live events - should i be making an HDPE frame with 1cm / 2cm bulkheads as was the recommended advice a few years ago, or is there a stronger way?

Thank you!
    Last edited by dragonzrmetal; 21st February 2020 at 23:21.

Team Kaizen

Hey there!

I haven't been around for a few years, and I remember when Gold 24V or Gimson motors were the things to have - what's the current motors I should be looking at in my price range? Preferably with a drop-in drive system available - I hate building transmissions and doubt I'll find the time to learn how to use a CNC to machine a gearbox or tap threads into a wheel.
    I still use Gimsons in my Featherweights, solid reliable units. You can get a 13.7:1 motor and gearbox for about £50 per side (though the last time I looked on the Gimson site was a while ago). That being said, building a simple single stage reduction isn't that difficult. Admittedly intimidating the first time you try but worth it.

How about ESCs? I take it Spektrum are still the standard Tx/Rx systems and LiPos are still the standard battery?
    I've seen a mix of Spektrums and OrangeRX transmitters being used lately. I use a OrangeRX for DSMX receivers and a Spectrum DX6i for DSM2 receivers. Yes, LiPos are still the norm. I'll defer to others as to what the norm for ESCs are these days, I still use a pair of flashed TZ85As, which are no longer in production.

How about chassis build, if I want to stand up to spinners at the live events - should i be making an HDPE frame with 1cm / 2cm bulkheads as was the recommended advice a few years ago, or is there a stronger way?
    My featherweight Azriel uses 15mm HDPE as the main body/chassis material which has done "OK". though it hasn't been hit directly with a spinner apart from the front. 10mm on my previous Featherweight stood up to a lot as well but I would probably look at 15-20mm minimum. Depends on how big your design is though.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

for a cheap entry point into drive motors, most people start off or continue to use drill motors and gearboxes. The cheapest current drills are 7.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MYLEK-18V...MAAOSwdZJcgrMT

These are the cheapest by far, but are only recent to the field, due to argos discontinuing their range. What is good however is they have all metal gears in the planetry gearbox.

People also import 16:1 planetry gearboxes through alibaba? But fit their own 550 or 775 moptors to them.

ESC, people use botbitz esc, the TZ85A esc were the goto but as Lucy says, they are discontinued. Botbitz are reprogrammed brushless esc's so you could, if you were inclined to, have a search for some simonk esc and reflash it with firmware modified for forward and reverse brushed drive.

Chassis build, i use 10mm hdpe as a base plate with 15/20mm hdpe as structural frame insides. The outsides are with Hardox plates, although some people just use 20mm HDPE as structural and armour.

As a side note, I sell motor mounts for bosch, argos and mylek drills, as well as wheel and hubs that screw onto drill output shafts.

Register To Comment