Hello everyone,

I have an idea for a new robot for next season but I have a few questions about the material.

I love the idea of Polycarbonate so everyone can see the internals when its fighting as well as I can plaster it with LEDs xD I currently use 20mm HDPE which has held up great both to Neon and Shrapnel at Maidstone Extreme Robots! But it being so thick, I was able to use insert nuts (the ones that screw in with a course thread and then you can screw a machine thread screw into it) but the thickest polycarbonate i can find solid is 12mm. I am guessing this is a standard size but it introduces the issue of not having enough material to screw in the insert nuts.

The gentleman behind Unicorn (really sorry I have forgotten his name ) said that you can use those insert bar things that you get with flat pack furniture (the ones that you push into a hole one direction and then screw a threaded screw in from the other direction if that makes sense? lol) to join two bits of HDPE together so I was wondering weather there any adverse effects of using them with Polycarb?.

Also I know Polycarb is fairly resilient else they wouldn't use it for the arena lol but building a robot pretty much exclusively from the stuff, would it be fairly tough like HDPE?

Any opinions and information is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Will