Register To Comment

Thread: Team Bitza - Hippobotamus

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    After a brilliant time at this years BW champs (Thanks Shane & team) Ankle Biter II required some minor upgrades, instead of doing that I've designed something completely different. Drawing from some of the superb drum spinners and beaters at the comp I've come up with my first beater, Hippobotamus.

The Hippo theme has some what taken over this design. If I can squeeze some servos in it should be able to wiggles its ears and spins its tail! Hopefully it'll pack a punch as well, the weapon motor is rated at 755W and should drive the beater to 438mph, although physics may get in the way of that top speed.

Specs:

Power - 4S 1000mAh lipo
    Brushless drive - DYS BE1806 2700kv coupled to a 500RPM 22mm gearbox.
    Wheels - Banebotes T81 2-7/8" Green compound.
    Weapon motor - Propdrive V2 2836 3000KV
    Beater - 100mm x 50mm x 20mm 6061 with 4x M12 caphead teeth to take overall diameter to 74mm. This runs on a 10mm shaft, turned down to 6mm in the middle of the beater.
    Materials - 12mm UHMWPE bulkheads, 5mm UHMWPE ring, 1mm and 2mm 7075 ali for top and bottom plates, as well as front shield.

Questions:

1. Do you think I can get away with 1mm 7075 as a base plate? The top will be 2mm and all motors are fixed to the bulkheads.
    2. Any recommendations for suitable brushless drive ESCs, and is there a guide showing how to flash them?
    3. The Propdrive 2836 has a max current draw of 55A, how would I go about calculating if I'll come near to that? A 60A ESC seems a big overkill for a beetleweight!
    4. Just as I finished the design I had a nagging feeling it may drive poorly as all the weight is at the front. There's just enough room to swap the drive and weapon motors around and run the timing belt for the weapon around the drive motors (4mm clearance either side). Would its worth the extra headache all that would bring? The last 3 pictures are a quick mock up of what that might look like.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome, what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Register To Comment