Register To Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post battle analysis and repair

Team Death entered the October Robodojo with three robots and was semi successful.

Danger UXB won two fights but I was unhappy with its drivability and it was quite sluggish

and very noisy as like squeaky chalk on a blackboard which irritated some roboteers.

I use drills in their original form-complete with cases and discovered that the Hammer setting

had slipped on one drill and was causing the squeak and also the wheel spindle shaft had bent

and was causing drag on the other wheel so I corrected both these faults today.

I know that when this Robot works perfect it should spin fast so hopefully next evet should be

even better.

Piece de resistance was sluggish and both wheels came loose on their shafts, the springs

on the lifter helped with lifting up to a point but I did not have the drive power to do anything

with the lifted apponent so I will move the lifter closer to the front, remove the springs

and add better drive motors.

Project Fear-this Robot was great fun to drive and the hammer/fork worked well, it only

Won one fight against Harald 2 but because they had beat me twice before I was pleased

This robot was a bit twitchy at the end and I don't know why as yet.

DSCN0325.jpg DSCN0326.jpgDSCN0328.jpg

McMullet
    Glad the horrible noise had a reasonably benign explanation! It sounded a bit like the hole drive system was shredding itself.

Look forward to seeing the terrible trio in December!

Upon closer inspection it appears the sprocket on the drive motor of Danger UXB was

probably meshing against the wheel sprocket causing the horrible noise so you were right Sam.

When I first built the Robot, both sprockets ran very close together around 8 mm of clearance

and are connected by chain.

I have now added a couple of links of chain and managed to move the motor further back so

the clearance is closer to 30 mm between sprockets and is so much better.

Next up.....Piece de resistance.

Piece De Resistance

I have done a major re work on this Robot this week. changing all the sprockets

and chain drive system to the drill direct drive through the gearboxes which I

achieved by welding a stub axle directly onto where the drill chuck would be

and this is a tried and tested method which I use on Project Fear too.

Originally when I made this Robot I built the Bodywork before adding the

inner workings and found I couldn't have the motors side by side because

of width restrictions so I had to run one motor outside the bodywork with

a chain going inside to the wheel.

I'm using the same floor plan so the wheels slightly stick out of the body work

so hence the large mudguards made from fibreglass moulded from plant pots .

The lifting arm and head of the Robot is also moved forward with the idea that

there will be less strain on the lifter in the same way trying to lift an heavy

object on a short stick is easier than a long stick.

DSCN0329.jpgDSCN0333.jpgDSCN0330.jpg

Hi Colin! I have some very light aluminium split rims from an old go cart that are almost the same size and shape as your wheel guards! would you like me to post a picture of them if your interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Albear View Post
    Hi Colin! I have some very light aluminium split rims from an old go cart that are almost the same size and shape as your wheel guards! would you like me to post a picture of them if your interested?
    Yes it will be interesting to see them.
    Cheers

December 1st Robodojo analysis....
    Team Death took 3 Robots to the Robodojo and there were mixed results.
    All the Robots performed better than they had before and in the Robot game it's important
    to improve to keep up with the competition.
    Adam had his first real go at driving since we built No Imagination now called Piece de Resistance
    and I must say I was very impressed with his control and aggression.
    So with 5 rounds we had in theory 15 battles which can be bedlam if there are breakdowns
    which of course there were-Piece de Resistance suffered a burnt out motor in the 3rd round
    and Danger UXB had the same problem after the 2nd round but was able to continue due
    to it's design and even managed a Win! against Bread Dead Redemption because they broke
    down.

This is the embarrassing bit 13 fights one Win! but in our defence it was a very tough draw-
    see the video by Will Caddy on you tube.

I feel the need for a Grudge match against Bread Dead Redemption because I need to fight
    them with a fully functioning Machine and not a One wheel on my wagon job.

Mr Manuva27
    Definitely up for a grudge match! Was looking forward to our fight and was gutted when BDR broke down. Just one wire from the ESC came loose.
    Will be great to have a match with two machines at 100%!

McMullet
    You did a sterling job just keeping them all running! Especially with all the motor burnouts.

I thought all three machines were running noticeably better as well. Good luck for next time!

Register To Comment