Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first beetleweight build - some newb questions to follow!

Team Kaizen

You'd want to e-mail Kane at the FRA (contact info can be found on the site) but I've personally struggled to get in contact with the FRA directly and even then, I don't think they would add frequencies "on the fly" so to speak, they would consider it for the next year's build rules if a good case is put forwards for it.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Well things escalated quickly here. V1 was built and all parts played well together, elctrics were tested and my ideas seemed to work. However there were space issues in the main compartment and some changes I wished to make to strengthen up the overall build so V2 was designed, cut and built. Our 2 custom PCB's then arrived and were right on the money for size and weight, these were fitted and the programing began. It was at this point that we began weapons testing. That was well, interesting!

The motor I had chosen was up to the task but the external printed gear was not. And to get the required gearing in the space we had available everything became a compromise. A V3 was designed but the calcs proved it to not be the best way forward so nothing was built.

So at this point I was happy with the weapon system, drive system, electrics, batteries and main chassis. The issue was purely weapon motor and gearing. So I mocked up a few systems and began testing. I used one of our UAV (drone) thrust stand controllers to test each motor and gear combination to work out spin up time, amps and monitor heat. I then designed V4, this included a heat sink and a metal gear on the motor side. I have included a larger bearing to hold the motor axle as I also noticed the smaller bearing was not up to the task due to the tension the belt was under.

So with less than 6 days to my first competition its now time to re machine the chassis and hope that tests go well! Wish me luck!

Wish me luck!
    Good luck! Sounds like you've got a good handle on things for your first build and look forward to seeing it at Edinburgh. I haven't done a scratch built beetle for about four years and mine is currently 90% CAD, 10% physical bot so got to get the finger out!

Joshua
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Yes, it must be removed by hand (no tools allowed)
    Sorry about hijacking this old thread. Just to check (which I unfortunately believe is the case from rereading the rules and this thread) Whyachi-style switches are not acceptable under FRA rules, the only acceptable way to power on/off a robot is a removable link that does not require tools to active/deactivate, but could be hidden beneath a panel that is toollessly accessible i.e. a latch or velcro?

Team Kaizen

Yes, that is correct. The panel that covers it, if you fit one, has to be toolessly removable as is the link itself.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Joshua
    Thanks, you've been super helpful today.

links at beetleweight levels tend to be an XT60 connector with a wire loop. At featherweight levels its more an XT90, although some do use xt60.

Register To Comment