Afternoon all. I am new to fighting robots but not to robotics or engineering.

I have always wanted to build a fighting robot ever since robot wars but have never deemed it very accessible and life always got in the way. So, after watching a number of youtube clips and ending up on a massive binge fest or all sorts of leagues and build channels I found out about the UK scene. At first thought I would give antweight a go (and still will) but after noticing just how many beetle weight fights and events there were and that a beetleweight is probably a better class for first build I cleared my schedule and began designing.

I don't want to give too much away and will possibly do a build log after my first fight but have decided on a horizontal spinner. I think I have made about 80% of the design decisions so far and am happy with my choices (probably be full of regret and lessons after first fight) but think I need to call on the wealth of knowledge here to finalise a few things.

So.

• Is HDPE a good choice for the top and bottom plates of a spinner? I had planned on using 5mm but now doubting myself as its not something ive used before. If not, what materials are people using?
  • Whats the best "link" or switch to use and whats allowed as the rules seem a bit vague.
  • Is there a reason why 868 MHz and 915 MHz are not allowed for robot control?