Register To Comment

Thread: A good brushless drum spinner motor/esc match?

Team Kaizen

Motor is definitely good from what I have heard. I am sure a few folk on here use them (or variations thereof) in the drive so I would be confident in that choice. The ESC, for a drum spinner I don't think you'd need a reversing ESC but otherwise, looks OK to me though extra headroom on the amperage might be a good idea as well.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I've been looking at those WiFi reversing ESC, but the reversing function is enabled by using a second channel as the direction control and insinuating that it has to be stopped before being applied to avoid damage. I'm thinking a flashed red brick would be cheaper and better, but doesnt look as nice.

Team Kaizen

I'm thinking a flashed red brick would be cheaper and better, but doesnt look as nice.
    I am doing that with my Featherweight at the moment. It looks a bit ramshackle with the electrical tape holding the heatsink in but it'll do OK.

Any idea where to get the Atmel flashing tool? I dont want to go through the hassle of soldering wires on again, but it looks like HobbyKing are out of stock of this.

Team Kaizen

I might be wrong but the way I think of it is that the ESC is a bridge between the battery and the motor. The motor is the power drawing element so as long as the motor amperage + 10% never exceeds the ESC rating, then in theory you should be OK.

Any idea where to get the Atmel flashing tool? I dont want to go through the hassle of soldering wires on again, but it looks like HobbyKing are out of stock of this.
    I can find the USB tool quite easily: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201234598699 but the atmel/atmega socket flashing adapter (the one you press the pins against the chip with) I cannot find at the moment.

Its very difficult to get the atmel programming chip device now as Hobbyking no longer make them. best bet would be to make one using pogo pins and some hot glue.

Also, by reversing the direction of the motor, yes you would 'up-cut' your drum but the tooth profile will mean you wouldnt nip just bump the opponent. That is unless you have a lump instead of a typical tooth shape.

Register To Comment