Register To Comment
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log - Bread Dead Redemption (FW) - First Build.

Team Kaizen

Love it. It looks very good though I would definitely look at making a custom dustpan further down the line.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

McMullet
    No need for that! You've already established that any concerns with the current dustpan setup can solved by simply adding MORE DUSTPANS.

Great progress again, the end result looks like some really nice accurate work!

How much ground clearance do you have? If you're aiming for Robodojo, the floor is made of panels that don't always line up 100% prevent perfectly and the pit is usually dropped 20mm as an obstacle, so it's worth having 10-20mm clearance most of the way around to avoid getting snagged on something. Don't want to do a Cobalt!

+1 for more dustpans! Got this image of a regal toaster floating into the arena on a magic dustpan-carpet...

its a a shame on the ground clearance issues though, I suppose the ‘simple’ option is bigger wheels, but then you need to know if they will fit in the room you have, is there any adjustments in the motor mounts?

Looking good! I see your using slim tyres for your tread, perhaps look at mountain bike tyres with the knobbly bits on it as this will give you about 8mm thickness.
    The mounts, should you need them lowering can be done easily. I think you have about 10mm to play with if you chop them down.
    you will need a 7.9mm Drill bit (8mm would be ok). Bolt the mounts together so they remain concentric to each other. Unscrew the inserts using a hex key, then put the drill bit down the hole then start drilling it out. The holes are taken down to about 23mm so bear that in mind if you drill down to a depth. Then chop off the flat to your height required and reinsert the inserts.
    Any assistance, let me know :-)

Looking good, loving the dustpan combo. Best of luck getting it finished! My only concern...

the wheels slipping on the electrical tape holding them on to the drill shaft
    Is this a temporary thing or not? The amount of torque that goes through a drill motor/wheel on a featherweight is pretty substantial (especially when pushing another robot) so will easily chew things like electrical tape up if that's used as a means of transmitting rotation from the drill shaft to the wheel. You'll need something more substantial I'm afraid to be able to transmit the torque, otherwise you'll be fighting a constant battle in the pits trying to sort the wheels out.

Team Kaizen

Ah, I missed this in the speed read of the post from last night (thanks Jamie)...

I connected the wiring up to a drill battery and took it outside to see if it would run, which it sadly didn't. Seems to be a combination of the wheels slipping on the electrical tape holding them on to the drill shaft, bolts under the dustpans making it too front heavy and catching on the floor, plus the wheels still not having enough ground clearance even with the tyre.
    As noted, the tape will be chewed up pretty quickly. I would drill a hole through the bolt that your wheel is on and the hub of the wheel (I see you are using the same type of wheel as Azriel is) and then put a bolt through that to make it all secure. The bolts on the dustpan, countersunk bolts perhaps? Once those two are done, give it a retest and see what that does for you.

Alternatively, for the wheel issue, where you have that washer on the outside of the wheel, get a bigger diameter washer, drill two holes in that and the wheel and bolt them together like that?

Mr Manuva27
    Thanks all for your feedback and dustpan enthusiasm!

On the ground clearance front, I've probably got 3-5mm from the base, although the screw heads probably need to be countersunk, so that probably takes away a mil or two. I've thankfully only got a few screws holding it together at the moment, so shouldn't be too bad to do that.

I considered asking for the mounts to be adjusted when I ordered them from Nat, but trusted my measurements as I wanted minimal ground clearance. With the information from Sam about the Robodojo floor, I would have probably planned differently. I'll probably only cut the mounts down if I really have to, even if it is just a matter of pride at this point haha. (Thanks for the advice though, Nat. I'll definitely bear it in mind).

I suppose the ‘simple’ option is bigger wheels, but then you need to know if they will fit in the room you have, is there any adjustments in the motor mounts?
    I've found some 120mm trolley wheels on Ebay, which should give me 10mm clearance. They are hopefully arriving this week. There isn't much room above, so I will have to either cut out a wheel arch in to the top HDPE panels on the bandsaw, or just make new top panels out of the 10mm Polycarb I have. Either one shouldn't be too much effort.

Is this a temporary thing or not?
    I would say yes, because it was just a quick fix to get a rough drive test in before it went dark. At the same time though, I didn't have any better options, so also no .

I would drill a hole through the bolt that your wheel is on and the hub of the wheel (I see you are using the same type of wheel as Azriel is) and then put a bolt through that to make it all secure.
    That makes a lot of sense! The bolt holding it in at the moment is the reverse thread bolt from the drill chuck, would that be secure enough to drill in to, or would you drill through the drill shaft it is screwed in to as well? I imagine the holding pin/bolt would have to be quite thin, so would it stand up to impact well?

Alternatively, for the wheel issue, where you have that washer on the outside of the wheel, get a bigger diameter washer, drill two holes in that and the wheel and bolt them together like that?
    Definitely a possibility. I'll likely look at a combination of both, make sure it is extra secure. Cheers!

The bolts on the dustpan, countersunk bolts perhaps? Once those two are done, give it a retest and see what that does for you.
    I think I know what the plan is for the dustpan already. The metal is relatively quite thin, so countersinking isn't an option. When I started, I was torn between either using nuts, bolts and washers to secure it or to put a small block of HDPE in the back wall of the pan before screwing through that with wood screws to spread the surface area. Wood screws would sit flatter than bolts, so I think that is the option I'm going to try next.

gosh darn it, i was planning not to go but see this it would be wrong not to have a sportman hammer bot XD

That makes a lot of sense! The bolt holding it in at the moment is the reverse thread bolt from the drill chuck, would that be secure enough to drill in to, or would you drill through the drill shaft it is screwed in to as well? I imagine the holding pin/bolt would have to be quite thin, so would it stand up to impact well?
    If you put a bolt/pin through the hub of the wheel and the drill motor shaft, you won't need the reverse thread screw, as the bolt/pin will prevent lateral movement and there's no risk of the wheel unscrewing, which are the main things the reverse thread screws are there for.

If my memory serves, a drill shaft is 12mm diameter dropping down to ~10mm at the threaded part. If you can get away with an M4 bolt/pin, I would go for that (centrally drilled, that will leave 3mm material either side of the ~10mm portion or 4mm on the 12mm section) but an M3 bolt/pin would likey be okay.

Team Kaizen

I imagine the holding pin/bolt would have to be quite thin, so would it stand up to impact well?
    Should be. I am going to be doing this on my Middleweight as the M6 grub screw has fallen out during fights a few times. Ironically, the M5 grub screw on the other side has not fallen out once, probably because it fits better in the keyed shaft of the motor. I would use nyloc nuts on the ends of the screws though.

Register To Comment