Register To Comment
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log - Bread Dead Redemption (FW) - First Build.

McMullet
    That's some cracking progress made in a few days! Looks like you'll be ready for Robodojo in December?

I think a "how to usefully dismember Argos drills" compilation thread would be a useful addition to the forum. One thing I found, if the reverse screw or chuck are really welded on, is that the you can take the gearbox to pieces from the motor side by sliding the securing pins out. At the last stage, put an 11/16 socket over the 3 shafts and it will hold it securely so you can put some proper force in at the other end. I suspect that there's a risk there of damaging something inside though.

I like the bandsaw setup. It doesn't *look* safe but I think the only thing in danger of injury is the bandsaw itself...

The machine itself is also looking very nice. I confess I was a bit dubious about how that toaster would look wedged into a block of HDPE, but it's turned out really nice. Can I suggest that you install 4 small axes as weapons, with the axe heads looking like slices of toast that pop out of the slots on top? OK maybe not immediately, but eventually.

Oh and another vote for the jacket looking sweet!

Keep up the good work

Mr Manuva27
    Lucy

Oh wow, 270x270mm is tiny! Don't know how you manage it. I have quite a bit of vertical space above that I could build in to, but I want to make sure everything is secure and as easy to access as possible for this build. Also, I haven't figured out how I want to reinforce the top of the toaster, so the less essentials within axe range, the better. When the Mk2 looks to include a hammer, I think vertical is definitely the way to go. Cheers!

As long as everything goes to plan, debut will be December Robodojo, followed by EXR Manchester (For the Love of Sci-Fi) if that is possible.

Paul

1. Thanks! I've hardly taken the jacket off since I got it. Absolutely love it.
    2. I don't know why, but a mezzanine level just sounds wayyyy too posh for a toaster . Great advice, I will definitely consider it for when I look at getting the axe mechanism in, thanks!
    3. Assuming you are talking about the motorbike, it's not mine, sorry. It belongs to my Mum's Boyfriend. I'm a petrolhead, but I much prefer 4 wheels to 2!

Sam

Yep, December Robodojo is the plan! Make sure Wedgeley is prepared! Definitely agree on the drill guide front, Ellis from Pulsar/Magnetar has a great video that I used for reference, but the drill he modified was slightly different. Great tip on the socket though, definitely better than the screwdriver I tried!

The bandsaw is actually super stable, it just looks comically dangerous. I was surprised how well it worked.

I'll have to get one axe in first! But yeah, I'll consider it as a future plan. For now I'm just planning on putting actual bread in there while it goes in to battle (Would it class as entanglement? Does the FRA account for use of bread in the rules? I don't know, but I think they should if they don't). I've seen that the house robot they use for the featherweights at EXR has a flamethrower......

Team Kaizen

As long as everything goes to plan, debut will be December Robodojo, followed by EXR Manchester (For the Love of Sci-Fi) if that is possible.
    Ah yes, I forgot about For the Love of Sci-Fi. I am sure I entered that with Azriel. Gonna need to start (re)building it then. :P
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Manuva27 View Post

Paul

1. Thanks! I've hardly taken the jacket off since I got it. Absolutely love it.
    2. I don't know why, but a mezzanine level just sounds wayyyy too posh for a toaster . Great advice, I will definitely consider it for when I look at getting the axe mechanism in, thanks!
    3. Assuming you are talking about the motorbike, it's not mine, sorry. It belongs to my Mum's Boyfriend. I'm a petrolhead, but I much prefer 4 wheels to 2!
    1. Good stuff, I'll look out for it when I finally make a FW event
    2. Nah, you gotta have some class, be the fanciest (and possibly scariest) toaster in the northwest.
    3. Yeah, also a biker, and can't resist asking about these things so is your poison classics or performance?

Also must add, I 100% support the idea of making actual toast in the arena!

Team Kaizen

Yeah, gotta make toast in the arena :P I can't think of a rule where it wouldn't be allowed in, perhaps just not buttered as that would probably count as a liquid.

I did a mezzanine floor in The Honey Badger 3 to get the batteries in it because although it was wide at 450mm, it was really short. The usable length was 70mm but it was 100mm tall. So the motors, which were 50mm tall, sat on the bottom with the speed controllers mounted to the vertical and a wooden floor over a set of rails is where the batteries sat.

And here is a few of pictures of it:
    DSCF6396.JPGDSCF6437.JPGDSCF6422.JPG
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 18th October 2019 at 10:39.

Not going to lie Lucy, that’s the exact build I was thinking of with the suggestion, a neat and elegant solution imho.

I'm sure we could butter the toast in the pits afterwards tho

Team Kaizen

"Neat and elegant". Not words I would ascribe to that version of the Badger. :P It did the job, even stood up to the likes of Neon for a few brief moments before the wheels came off. TBH, it was a pain to work on because of how narrow it was. This was before I learned about threaded inserts though.

I've seen that the house robot they use for the featherweights at EXR has a flamethrower......
    Cyber Raptor. Fast as heck. The flamethrower on that can be temperamental but I am sure if asked, they'll accommodate a good toasting.

Just looking at the picture of the motors and speed controller in place, you may wish to cover the connections on the XT60 to prevent a short. I might also be up for some pre EXR testing just to give your bot the once over, depending on where in Lancashire you are.

I do admire the packing job, I like seeing all the pics of builds with tidy wiring and an absurd amount of electronics squeezed into a tiny space, I can respect the effort and planning involved, although I’d never considered the ease of repairs and adjustments if I’m honest

McMullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Manuva27 View Post
    Does the FRA account for use of bread in the rules?
    I've had a good look through the rules; there is a prohibition against "hazardous materials", so maybe use gluten free bread in case the arena marshal is coeliac? You never know. Other than that I think your golden, unless it's really crusty in which case it might fall into the "hardened blades that can shatter on impact" category, especially if it's over-done.

ANYWAY, yes, the extra level to hold the electrical gubbins sounds like a good idea. This is when using CAD to plan the interior can really be useful, compared to drawing stuff in 2D (on a soggy beermat).

Just one thing to watch out for, as well as the convenience of access for maintenance, one of the tech safety checks at events is to inspect the wiring. At our first event it was looked at reasonably closely - presumably since we were complete noobs it was considered prudent to confirm we hadn't hooked up the whole thing with 24 AWG phone cable or something. It's unlikely to cause a major headache, but something to consider - you don't want to be asked to dismantle half the machine 20 minutes before the first fight.

Mr Manuva27
    Well, my friends, we're in the endgame now. With a month until December Robodojo, I found myself on my last full weekend to work on the robot (stupid social life, gets in the way of everything). A few bits had happened in dribs and drabs when I had a spare hour or two after work, but nothing major.

Before this weekend, I had acquired a jigsaw, cut out the holes for the wheels and drilled the holes to mount the motors, which were surprisingly accurate for my terrible record of measuring on this build!

Saturday

Saturday began with constructing the bodywork of the robot, plenty of pilot holes and wood screws! Starting to take shape.

IMG_20191026_154707.jpg

I also ordered a 3S Lipo, balance charger and charging bag, plus a 75amp fuse, which I think covers everything for the electrics.

The toaster itself went under the knife (well, jigsaw), to make space for the motors and electrics. Despite being 1mm stainless steel, this thing put up a hell of a fight! It didn't dawn on me until later that I probably should have just used a pair of snips......

IMG_20191026_155313.jpg

Cutting these holes really took a lot of rigidity out of the toaster. I'm really going to have to bulk it up for it to stand any chance in an arena.

Trolley wheels were also treated to a bit of new tread, courtesy of a Halfords bike tyre.

IMG_20191027_123914.jpg

As I cleared up for the evening, I was filled with excitement. All that was left to do on Sunday was wire in the LiPo, fuse and LEDs, fit the dustpan and I would be done! Could I get it finished this weekend?After finishing on Saturday, I had been thinking. Mounting the dustpan would mean mounting it to the toaster directly, which is flimsy enough as it is. I also cast my mind back to a previous comment that Lucy made in this thread.

Azriel is pretty tight in there for the moment with 2x batteries, a block of ESCs and still need to fit in an axe mechanism, all in a 270x270mm space :P
    Given the size of my robot, plus that Azriel is considered small at 270x270mm, a 320mm max width dustpan may not be very effective in scooping up opponents. I fired up Amazon and started ordering........

Sunday

Sunday started with the arrival of an Amazon parcel. It became clear that my plan to wire up the electrics may have to take a back seat for today, this could take a while, considering I was winging it.

As it was a nice day, I took the bandsaw outside and started fashioning some mounts out of scrap HDPE....

IMG_20191027_123905.jpg

......Followed by some aluminium angle, bent in to shape.....

IMG_20191027_132127.jpg

....Then with the help of some bolts, wood screws and swearing.....

IMG_20191027_144752.jpg

....Introducing THE MEGA PAN! 650mm of robot scooping prowess!

Yeah, this took most of the day. I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out and I think it looks pretty cool.

I connected the wiring up to a drill battery and took it outside to see if it would run, which it sadly didn't. Seems to be a combination of the wheels slipping on the electrical tape holding them on to the drill shaft, bolts under the dustpans making it too front heavy and catching on the floor, plus the wheels still not having enough ground clearance even with the tyre.

I removed the dustpans and gave it another test, which did not change anything. Seems to be the ground clearance being the biggest issue.

A disheartening end to the weekend, to be honest, given that I thought I was nearly done on Saturday. Seems to be that all the big jobs are complete, I'm just afraid of all the little stuff adding up and taking ages.

I'll be working on it midweek and some of next weekend when I'm not in work, but panic is starting to set in. Hopefully I can get it working sooner rather than later, so I can get the little bits ironed out before Robodojo.

IMG_20191027_162400.jpg
    Last edited by Mr Manuva27; 27th October 2019 at 17:51.

Register To Comment