Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Britain Great Again - resurrecting Nigel Barrage

Team Kaizen

Yeah, I'd guess spinners were energy efficient in that regard. I was more thinking about not charging all the time between fights.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

hey Greg and James, we shall have some fun next week

Quantax-Dynamics
    So I'm going to splurge my thoughts a little bit. No pictures really besides one I took before the event started.

69223121_445292109659743_4003745144414142464_n.jpg

So the big thing is the side guards and armour. This is actually an offcut of the Extreme Robots arena I must have picked up after Chatham (most like) and had lying around. With time running short, I visited the workshop in Burton (thanks Marler) and had a couple of cuts made to bolt in the polycarb using some M12 bolts. Problem sorted.

So my transmitter issues have been ongoing and Joe Brown (who also uses one) was able to say they're not usual so I think maybe I need to invest in a better Tx at some point. This caused an issue in my first fight against Barrog Doom where I couldn't spin the weapon down before the fight, having to turn the Tx off and on again.

Then came the bit some of you know. Eoin slammed me against the wall and the shock made the pulley bounce off the weapon shaft. Ease of access maybe, but I'm finding more issues I screwed up in this. Then all of a sudden I lost drive. Taking it back to the pits at first I thought it was because I blew my 30A fuse. Given that these 775s were a lot more powerful than the drill motors I'm used to I was happy to say that was the case. But things only got worse.

Checking the wheels, I found the left side was seized up completely. Suspecting the gearbox, Dave Weston helped me take it apart. The gearbox itself is fine - the problem was the 775. The spindle/shaft of the motor was bent at an angle enough to prevent it turning properly. Dave tried his best to help me out with this, while I was about to work on a second solution.

This time on the right side it was the grub screw holding the hub on. At first I thought it was just stiff. But when the screw sheared as I was trying to undo it I lost it. I had no Gimson spares - I'd spent all this time thinking these were high quality reliable things and I wouldn't need to use my Black and Decker cheap drill motors solution. I'd spent extra money on Gimson hubs, and not prepared wheel mounts or positions for them to go. I had to drill out hardox on a time frame (you can imagine how that went) and only just got into the arena with my stupid 'drill chucks around an M10 bolt' solution that was used for Henry the Hoover at Bolton.

Obviously in the time they'd been in the toolbox, or maybe in the arena, they'd degraded a touch more. There was no grip between the drill chuck and the wheel itself and I spun uselessly against Crabsolutely Clawful. I got it into the arena and people are saying it's still great but I don't -feel- great. I feel exhausted, hot, sweaty, frustrated. I've come clean to James that I smashed up his 775 myself out of frustration and he's clearly not happy. I need to make some new wheels or cut the chassis further for it to work tomorrow, for which I have Forge Master and Mitternacht to look forward to - two robots that can actually damage me as much as I've been damaging myself.

I'm sitting here in my 'hotel' with a cider wondering if it's worth it to keep going on. All I've done and doing is just keeping this piece of shit alive when maybe I should have left it to rust in James' shed. I know I sound like Matt Smith right now being a whinging nancy but I'm just... what's the point? What's the point if you're not having fun and the robot doesn't want to respond?

I made a mistake with my booking and only got two nights instead of three in my accommodation. I was thinking to extend but the hotel is bad enough and the event is not going well enough, should I just go tomorrow after the rounds are over? What do I really have to look forward to with such a shit robot?

Team Kaizen

Sorry to hear the frustrations you are having Greg. In situations like this, it is at this time I just down tool and walk away for the night. Sleep does help clear one's head. I've had the 775 motors seize up on me before but that was under heavy load on Kaizen.

The hubs are 6061 aluminium, which do warp somewhat, as is the grub screw I think. What I figured was that under shock, the ends of the grub screw warp a little, causing it to bind in the hub. I trialled smoothing off the end of the bolt about 5mm on Azriel but that doesn't seem to work. A high tensile steel cap head bolt might be better for handling the forces involved if it isn't one already.

Quantax-Dynamics
    It's a big relief in a way to know that the Gimson hub issue wasn't just me. Thanks Ora. Sleep is probably going to help. I'll be back tomorrow and I have at least one idea how to keep this thing going. Still not sure if I'll stay Monday too though. >.< Feels like a habit though that I can't stay at events all the way through. Had to bow out of Bugglebots filming both Sundays.

Most Roboteers have been there Greg, if your not having fun and losing to Robots you know you should beat
    it is so frustrating, you have come a long way from Bath -my advice is keep going, I tend to feel like giving up after
    most events especially when I'm looking at a smashed robot-Remember these are the best of the best Robots
    and you are good enough to be there-I did not have a Robot good enough so I'm not.

Team Kaizen

Indeed, nothing so disheartening than having your machine not work properly. I know that feeling with Jibril at the moment. I am the same with events, I can't make both days of events normally and it annoys me deeply. Grantham and Bolton were close enough for me to do both days but sadly, I couldn't get Azriel ready in time for the championship (besides, two championships this year is enough for me. :P)

The thing is, now it has been in the arena, you know where the weak spots are and so can work on them as you mention, you have at least one plan going. It'll come good in the end.

Quantax-Dynamics
    Hey all. You may be pleased to know I stuck with it in the end. I'll do a full event writeup at some point. I didn't take many picture and most videos went straight to James. But I didn't give up, so thanks for your comments again.

Team Kaizen

Ah, excellent to hear, well done! Going to be taking a break from it before working on it again?

McMullet
    Well done for sticking it out Greg! Hope you had some fun in the end, look forward to your writeup.

Where was your "hotel" by the way? We've stayed at the Oddfellows Arms a couple of times when we've been up for the one-day Robodojo events, but not really savoured the experience (just arrive in time for a drink or two then leave before 830 the next day...).

Register To Comment