Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mean Machine Revamp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Following Robots Live Grantham 2019 I have decided that The Mean Machine needs a more effective
    weapon system.
    Originally The Mean Machine was built to take part in Robot Wars and hence the different weapon system was
    developed with the view that if there is 10 or 20 flippers or wedges applying and only one or two with clamping jaws we would have a good chance of getting on the show due to the policy on diverse Robots.

We got the Robot ready for Robot Wars 11 which of course never happened so live circuit beckoned.

Grantham- This was only the second outing for the Mean Machine and it was not a brilliant performance, I had
    bought a new speed controller to control the Jaws and this bit seemed to work very well although I felt having
    two fan cooled ESC waiting in the the arena draining the battery while the compare talked for 10 mins was irritating.
    I might look at the possibility of switching the fans off with the remote in case of long delay in the future.
    So Mean Machine seemed a bit sluggish compared to last year and suffered a broken chain in the first battle.
    We managed to repair the chain and went in again against Iron awe and Thor and two more flippers, Mean Machine seemed sluggish again and the compare had gabbled on again beforehand-we got flipped at least 3 times within seconds but managed to drive away,a couple more hard hits and we were dead.
    Upon reviewing the damage we found a motor had come loose leaving no drive at one side and the wheel protection flap at the other side was pushing against the wheel leaving effectively no drive.

Conclusion-everything happens quickly, so a fast weapon is needed, the basic shape of the Robot will remain
    the same but we will fit either an side axe or concealed spinner in the jaws which will make it unique whichever
    way we go.

Team Kaizen

Looking forwards to seeing/reading this one. Just bear in mind that a spinner wouldn't be permitted at Robots Live events so if you were looking to go to those events, I'd possibly advocate side axe/grabbing arms.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

tbh i feel it you made the drive chain wider which would help with control and maybe look into a dust pan with a clampy claw/jaw thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    tbh i feel it you made the drive chain wider which would help with control and maybe look into a dust pan with a clampy claw/jaw thing ?
    Thank's Mark and Lucy-I feel if I added a dust pan it would only help with sweeping up my own Robot bits as they were broken off
    -those flippers are so powerful that the 3 mm steel teeth were bent like Plasticine but any ideas are always welcome.
    The wheels on Mean Machine are a little too close together and too far back and I think that's the main problem with control.

I had another chance to look at the Mean Machine today as two of my feathers are ready to go

for Robodojo next week.

I was not happy with Mean Machines performance at Robots live Grantham 2019 as previously stated

and have decided to do a real cut and shut job to rectify poor drive issues.

For reference see Team Death New Heavyweight-Basically the Robot is front heavy so this gives the effect

on the rear wheels of tickling the arena floor instead of putting down good traction.

So my plan is to put the wheels just behind the jaws which will shorten the body of the Robot by about 1/3 rd

but make it wider by the same and it should be much more manoeuvrable .

This is a major task but I think the final results might make Mean Machine much more competitive .

I will post some pictures as I progress.

De ja vu

My Three feathers are ready for Robodojo next week so I thought I would start work on

the Mean Machine instead of keep putting it off because it seems like way too much Trouble.

I have been buying the odd cutting blade at every opportunity so I was well stocked to give

the Mean Machine it's cut and shut makeover.

I started to cut away the bulbus wheel guards at both sides of the Bot while trying to leave the

wheel supports and bearings in situ, I then removed the wheel at one side and a few pieces of

the armour,this was quite straight forward but it's a little sad to see the Bot in so many bits

DSCN0334.jpgDSCN0336.jpg

Redirect Left
    It's been a while since Mean Machine has been in that many pieces! Hopefully for Grantham this year, it'll show up and do some damage other than running and ramming!

Thank's Adam

To be honest the Mean Machine did not show a lot of running and ramming last year-

I don't think it helped that the Organisers gabbed for 10 mins while the fans on 2 ecu's

drained the battery down and I felt that the Mean Machines first outing was far better

2 years ago.

Meanwhile while stripping the bot down for the re-vamp I came across the hasty repair

that was attempted by another member from another team which made me smile... .

The weld had broke holding the reducer chain in place and he had used about 10 zip

clips and quite a lot of time to try to fasten the reducer back in place, I remember rolling my

eyes at the endeavor at the time only to tell him it won't be fighting again -sorry.

Team Kaizen

I didn't think the fans on the Cytron 60A were drawing that much power? Then again, when I put mine in with the Featherweights, that battle started relatively quickly from loading as I seem to recall.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I think a speedy activate time after putting in the link is crucial Lucy, I'm pretty sure those

brushless fan motors are power hungry and there were 4 fans whizzing away.

I know Theo has been running his without the fans but I believe they have to be hacked

by utilizing the switch and there will be a risk of overheating.

I might be able to add remote switch to the controller to switch them off while stood but

that will be weeks ahead on this thread.

Register To Comment