Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mean Machine Revamp

Doom and Gloom.....at a time when Corona virus is on everybody's lips and robot events are been

cancelled and you can't go to watch the Footie and have a beer or two or even get too close to a friend .

What you going to do ? but fiddle with your Robot !.

So I have been putting it off long enough, because I knew it was going to be a toughie....The Mean Machine...is back on

the work bench as a priority project.

It's been a hard decision but it's virtually going to be a total rebuild but at least I have all the component parts

to put into it and I know they all work well as a whole.

Last weekend I built a Chassis and mounted the bearings and wheels from Mean Machine and although

it resembles something a Kin to Nuts at the moment I feel I have made major progress and know the

direction I'm headed.

This weekend I intend to beef up the chassis and fit the drive motors and 8 to 1 ratio reducer, I will add

some photos when it's looking more pleasant on the eye .

When it will be seen in competition is probably in the hands of the Government at the present time.

More Progress on Mean Machine this weekend, the 8 to 1 ratio reducers are now in place and the

Cim drive motors are also in position, there will be some slight tweaking needed to align the chains

but nothing too difficult.

The distance between the wheels in this new frame is almost double what it was previously and

the weight is as balanced as a see saw now rather than the 75% front heavy design it was before

which offered poor traction due to that fact and the small wheel base.

This is going to be a big Robot-80 cm wide and 120 cm long at this stage but if it turns into

a Thwack Bot it will be 2 metres long although I'm unsure of the final weapon format for now.

Times are Tough and although I can't get tested for Corona virus I'm pretty sure I have had

the Lurgie and have just recovered from so called mild symptoms that knocked me for six!.

So everyone is in lock down and it can be difficult to find things to do with your new free time

-you can surf the net,watch tv,do some cooking or play on the X box, but for me you can't beat

working on a robot build for keeping you amused and passing away 8 hours no problem.

McMullet
    Hi Colin, glad you're feeling well now! Keep safe and enjoy the building.

Chuff Bot !, I recall visiting a friends house many years ago and been offered a Chuff bun with

a cup of tea and just had to ask-"what do you call them Chuff buns for?", my friend went on to tell

me how when she first made the buns and offered her brother one he yelled "what the Chuff are they ?"

and so the label stuck.

So I have been mainly winging my re vamp of the Mean Machine and adding bits as I find them in the

shed which is my usual modus operandi and it's sort of coming together but fear if anyone saw it as

it sits they might yell "what the Chuff is that?".

Oh by the way for younger viewers Chuff means Heck in Yorkshire

McMullet
    I think "chuffin nora" has to be my favourite polite expletive! A great Yorkshire export.

Register To Comment