Register To Comment

Thread: Argos have changed their drill motors

Morning all

Just bought a new Argos drill for my FW, and the 550S inside appears to be 10.8V, rather than the advertised 12V. My question is, if I run this to drive my left wheel, but still use a 12V version on the right; will the bot still move in a straight line?

I have 4S lipos, so over-volting shouldn't be a problem; but it might be for those with 5S.

IMG_20190421_085330__01.jpg

I might be entirely wrong, but seeing that all the other markings are the same - i imagine it may be a case theyve changed the voltage to match the battery the motor comes with rather than its actual rated voltage.

Iirc the battery is 10.8v, so it makes sense for them to write 10.8v on the motor. All the other product details seem the exact same.

Maybe just try it?

McMullet
    The ones I got a few months ago were marked as 10.8v too. I think it's a bit misleading for them to be called 12v since the battery is only 3s... They're 12.6v at full charge but 'nominal' is 10.8 or 11.1v.

This seems to be an irritating change if the voltage has really changed. Are the gearboxes still the same however? I've broken a few in my time, but still have the 12V motors from them, so in theory you could just buy the new drills for the gearboxes and use older motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
    This seems to be an irritating change if the voltage has really changed. Are the gearboxes still the same however? I've broken a few in my time, but still have the 12V motors from them, so in theory you could just buy the new drills for the gearboxes and use older motors.
    As this hasn't been commented on yet, I can confirm the gearboxes are the same, its just a change to the specification rating of the motor.

Turned out i have a 10.8v rated set too and just realised...

McMullet
    Has anyone tested any of them side-by-side? I was going to try measuring coil resistance on my supposed 10.8 V ones but it's too low on a normal meter, so I might try a 4-wire setup if someone with some 12 V ones fancies having a go too.

I'm a bit dubious about labels on the inside of these drills after taking a battery pack to pieces. The cells are clearly 18650 size but are labelled 18350, which should be half the size, and claim to be 850 mAh which seems very low for 18650 cells. Even power-optimised 18650 cells have been well over 1 Ah for the last 10 years or so, at least from reputable manufacturers, so these are either from a disreputable manufacturer or deliberately mislabelled (or both, most likely).

I've not done any proper testing, but I have a mix of these and the 12v ones in Plastic Fantastic and they look about the same speed at full throttle with the bot under no load sat in the cradle. Also it still drives straight, it doesn't pull to one side as it would if one motor was different. Therefore I think it is just a re-labeling exercise as said above. It would still be good to test with a meter to be sure

Register To Comment