Register To Comment

Thread: Parts for a basic middleweight

Team Kaizen

Hey there!

From a Middleweight perspective, if you wanted to have a brushed motor setup, you could use a pair of 500W (or even 350W I should think) scooter motors and a Cytron SmartDriveDuo 60A as a drive ESC. Very simple setup.

Batteries are largely the same as you'll find in Heavyweights, just a bit smaller. I used 8S 4200mAh LiFe batteries in Jibril which are fine for one fight and then need charging so anything north of that mAh capacity would be suitable.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Great choice!!

350w-500w scooter motors are your best bet, dead cheap and easy to implement. You can get them bare, or with an attached gearbox (I'll be happy to PM you links to cheap ones). I personally use wheelchair motors which are plenty torquey enough, might try them on 36v for a little more speed this year. Speed controller-wise, we often go for the Cytron SmartDriveDuo 60, which has proven itself to be reliable enough on this scale. Batteries, I'm not a good example to follow, ended up using a 2800mAh NiCad after there wasn't room for another inside.... but it did the job for 3 minutes which is all you really need, probably gonna want a 6S LiPo over 4200mAh as Lucy said.

Good luck with it! Be sure to tell us how you get on

Team Helix
    Yes , mobility scooter moters with gearbox and wheels are a very easy way to start. Just build a chassis round them. The cytron or ragebridge are good options for esc. Or go brushless with scateboard escs and motors. Lighter but more complex to set up.

Team Kaizen

I've not used these myself but these might do the job: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24v-350w-...r/323806595374. I use a pair of CIM motors going through a 6.35:1 reduction and overvolt them to get some good speed out of them: https://www.robotshop.com/uk/12v-531...-dc-motor.html

Team Kaizen

I'll PM you.