Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Team Pushover: Build Log

Team Kaizen

Also, has anyone repurposed an electric axe mech to use as a flipper? It will give me a better layout for the PushOver regarding removable body panels for access (if my pencil tells the truth anyway). Thanks.
    If it is anything like my mechanisms, I'd put a couple of pins in the gearbox housing and a connecting rod to the flipper arm to make it move. The pins will interfere in the motion of the arm trying to rotate so you'll have a "up" and "down" position on the mechanism.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Thanks Lucy, that slightly refined what was already in my head, I couldn’t work out how I was going to limit the travel, was weighing up limit switches and all sorts, food for thought... I just figured that it would be easy to get a fast flipper in the space I want, some of these axes on here are pretty scary looking for a speed and torque standing, so long as it’s based on an ace that will self right we should be good

Now then... Stripped my Devo 7e apart to see what the power switch issue was... found 2 of the 3 wires on the back of the switch were loose, no problem, just re-solder and nope... much fiddling later, I found that some of the power switch cover has broken off and was catching in the slot preventing full throw... really!? anyway, a cure is a cure...

Next item;

Pullover: Have modified the design slightly to use gears/pulleys etc... to power our front hinged flipper (well, more of a roller at this point) and was tweaking a shock absorber using hooks and springs when I saw CSB2's progress... and a drive belt, it's lighter, simpler and easier, so I may *have* to steal the idea a little.

This should result in Pullover having more torque for the 'flip', probably more speed than this awful linac, and (more importantly) more reach/swing so it might actually be able to self right!!!

Ants: Pullover is still disconnecting the power to it's own rx with alarming regularity, the problem seems to be chassis twist and unlucky placement actually pulls the plug a little, currently in process of hand filing some aluminium blocks to thread and make into rear mounts for the new undertray, that should massively improve torsional strength.

Wej: Still utterly useless and couldn't fight it's way uphill.

Ridic-U-Loch-Ness Monster: now this is the freak of the bunch, mostly under-wraps for now, but I have a burning question before I can take this build seriously, I've seen a 4-6 legged ant flipper *somewhere*, I am aiming for a similar concept, probably 4 legs at the rear driven by a motor/crank/cam arrangement, but looking at the build rules again, it won't be a walker as there isn't enough degrees of movement, but it also wont be a shuffler as it doesn't rest on its body for the 'recovery period'. The legs will sort of 'scurry' forward with the leading edge riding on the arena floor if that makes sense?

'Nessie' will be build regardless, however if it doesn't classify as a shuffler it may be of limited performance as the mechanism is likely to be reasonably heavy. If it works I'll post a vid and brag a little.

Leopold: the 'World's Ugliest Beetleweight' is in bits again, still not happy with the build quality and general fit and finish, you could believe it was made by a fish...

Current plan is finish Pullover's adjustments, attempt Nessie, finish Pushover's flipper, and then maybe Leopold can get a look in...

Nessie; so far so terrible, the unusual design is making it difficult to balance, and it vibrates like mad. On a separate note, the walking test bed almost works, we may have it in one piece by Christmas....

The arena is framed out and waiting for some more ply for the surface, not happy with the finish of what I have, while.i wait for the ply I need to refit the kitchen (yay), but once that's here I can resurface and rod in the base, alu angle is here for battle box frame already, then polycarb on order at payday... despite hating working with wood, I've actually quite enjoyed this.

No progress on anything else for now, and I'm trying desperately to resist painting/modifying a tx as I really don't have time atm... send help...

Team Kaizen

Sounds like good progress, can't wait to see what the arena and Nessie will look like when they are finished.

Ok...

had a couple of hours on the arena over the weekend, aaaaaand disaster... well, maybe that’s a bit dramatic, this quarter pipe is a PITA, but I have a workaround!

The problem we have is that the same ply for the floor was supposed to make the radius, preferably as one single arena floor surface, but bending it at *just* the right spot was, just nope... So I separated the 2 parts, main floor and ramp, dry bending the ply resulted in a horrible cracking sound at quite a large radius, like 500mm tall and 2/3 of the arena... so I soaked it and tried again on Sunday, we were 30 seconds from perfect and it split.

In short; we are now waiting on some thinner, bendier ply and making our own laminate and making the bend more of a preformed piece, and adding more support to the ramp in case we loose any rigidity.

Now I can see why no one else has done it, but I will succeed, simply because I want to see what happens when I drive up it

Hi everybody, long time no see! What a few months, new workshop , busy at work, new kitchen, motorbike accident, and now a pandemic. Wow.

Updates!!! Sort of...

Arena; first up, updates on the arena, we are currently on attempt no. 7 for the quarter pipe section... and still not happy, current climate is making procurement of more wood fairly difficult, I kinda *want* to post pics but it looks terrible all half finished and unpainted. So no. Bonus: we have some lovely UV reactive paint for it now!

Wej: totally rebuilt from the ground up, backflips like Cassius although isn’t great at getting under things right now, so still a “sort of” wedge.

Pullover: loose connections appear addressed, now suffering what seems to be brown out, more reliable than it was, though that is hardly an achievement.

Nessie: still self destructing at every available opportunity, but the basics are *almost* there, it walks/hobbles, spins up and expands on cue. We have an odd vibration at high rpm, I think the balance is out, but once running something like successfully, we need a weigh in. I think we’re a touch under, hopefully enough to make it 3 legs per side, 2 is too much of a compromise, I’ve saved a few grams, but good lord it’s slow and cumbersome.

Leopold: Srapped due to general pants-ness, parts to be repurposed into something else, either better or sillier.

Pushover: Nothing. Zero. Not touched. Ashamed.

Kitchen: finished

Ill gets some pics up a little later on, probably only the finished ants, and maybe a workshop shot, of we’re lucky, it’ll be painted like one of those French girls too.

Team Kaizen

Hey Paul!

Ouch, hope your accident didn't result in anything too severe?

Updates look good, getting something to work reliably is a challenge in of itself. Love to see the UV paint on the arena! :P

Hey Lucy! No, being honest, I walked away, so I’m happy at that. Bike was written off, and I was supposed to get my new one on Tuesday just gone, but lockdown happened, not so happy with that bit. Could be worse.

Well, Pullover is being obstinate, mind of it’s own I’m sure. I’ve got a BEC to throw in to see if that cures it, there’s plenty of spare weight thankfully.

The paint should look look good if the test piece is anything to go on. Got a lighting rig to go in the battle box to give a white spotlight effect a la larger arenas, plus a UV floodlight, or both. UV reactive is planned to mark out the chevron areas and extremities so we can have blackout battles, 90s lazer quest style!

Register To Comment