Register To Comment
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ensign Wedgeley Crusher (FW Sportsman)

Ahh yeah, 200N is only about 20kg so it's more a lack of power that'll be stopping it. The ones I've had in those situations have been 75kg and above, and that's when things can start to get unhappy

McMullet
    Thanks for all your thoughts folks!

The problem with the Gimson linac is that either the retracted length is too much, or the stroke too small. So either the butt end of it sticks out of the back of the robot, or it doesn't move enough to close the jaws with any real force. Still, I might try a rough attempt incorporating the Gimson one into the CAD model just to see if I can make it work. Always nice to use something off the shelf if possible.

@Ocracoke - the drill gearmotor isn't too long with the planetary box - about 130 mm from end to end which fits in the space fine. The leadscrew + associated gubbins will be about the same size so it's not a problem as long as they're on top of each other.

Team Kaizen

Hmm... if the jaw is for clamping, I guess using a drill motor would be enough but won't have much in the way of crushing effectiveness though I guess that isn't what you are going for. The threaded screw will increase torque anyway. I can see this working. :P
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

McMullet
    Hi all! I've been meaning to update here for a while and keep getting distracted. Seems I'm more organised when it comes to building the robot than I am at writing posts about it. Sadly that does NOT mean I'm very organised at building.

Since Robodojo is in less than a week, however, we've had to actually start doing some work on Wedgeley. We decided to go down the home-made linac route because really, how hard can that be? [Narrator's voice: actually quite hard].

This was a very rough mock up of the whole mechanism:

Or, in animated form:

(links because the forum still seems to be borked...)

The next step was to transfer this to a more substantial material. With that in mind, I tried my hand at CNC'ing a few parts:

This was reasonably successful although it took a while as I didn't really have a clue at the start. The key bit was getting the Argos motor to fit right, and that was OK:

If there's one thing I've learned from repeatedly binge-watching Scrapheap challenge, it's to NEVER EVER use chain drives for anything when you're bodging, so with that in mind here's the chain drive from the motor to the leadscrew for the linac:

Meanwhile, in a curious form of progress, Becky and Simon stripped down Wedgeley Mk I to the bare bones, to replace most of the panels, motor restraints, etc.. I am looking forward to a future where we make robots with MORE SPACE IN THEM.

Various internal changes have been made, slightly less badly fitted panels have been produced, and we now have some steel to clad the front of the wedge. The linac is mostly assembled now, so we just have to cobble together an upper jaw mechanism and the crusher (which will undoubtedly destroy exclusively itself if ever called upon to crush anything more substantial than a coke can) will be complete:

Thankfully I've got Friday off work next week, so we have TWO WHOLE DAYS LEFT to do that.

Cheers!

Team Kaizen

Neat write up, looking forwards to potentially seeing this at RoboDojo one day.

If there's one thing I've learned from repeatedly binge-watching Scrapheap challenge, it's to NEVER EVER use chain drives for anything when you're bodging, so with that in mind here's the chain drive from the motor to the leadscrew for the linac:
    Did you use a chain drive as a defined weak spot in the mechanism in case the stresses are too much and/or for weight saving purposes?

Meanwhile, in a curious form of progress, Becky and Simon stripped down Wedgeley Mk I to the bare bones, to replace most of the panels, motor restraints, etc.. I am looking forward to a future where we make robots with MORE SPACE IN THEM.
    Hahahahaa, I know the pain of building inside very tight spaces with quite thick wires. Right faff to get all the wiring into Jibril (and Azriel on the evidence of what I have put together so far) with all the cables everywhere.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

This is looking really great! I am especially excited to see how your custom linac turns out - my design was absolutely too complicated for its own good. You say bodging it with chains can lead to problems, but I found making a compact, custom gearbox for a linac to be an absolute nightmare. I think you are much better going this route.

I also love all the linkages involved in your weapon mechanism. Looks too cool when it's in motion like that. Good luck for Robodojo!

McMullet
    Did you use a chain drive as a defined weak spot in the mechanism in case the stresses are too much and/or for weight saving purposes?
    Oooh yeah that's actually a plausible excuse, I will keep that in mind when it falls to pieces

Hahahahaa, I know the pain of building inside very tight spaces with quite thick wires. Right faff to get all the wiring into Jibril (and Azriel on the evidence of what I have put together so far) with all the cables everywhere.
    The wiring is the worst part, yes. I am used to using at most 20 or maybe 18 AWG wire at work and it's not the same at all... Next time however we will at least make space to accommodate the actual components (it was a close thing getting the ESC and battery into Wedgeley due to the not-very-thorough planning).

This is looking really great! I am especially excited to see how your custom linac turns out - my design was absolutely too complicated for its own good. You say bodging it with chains can lead to problems, but I found making a compact, custom gearbox for a linac to be an absolute nightmare. I think you are much better going this route.

I also love all the linkages involved in your weapon mechanism. Looks too cool when it's in motion like that. Good luck for Robodojo!
    Thanks! I did toy with the idea of extra gearing to connect to the drill motor, then direct drive the grabby jaw from that with a chain or something. I quickly abandoned that as soon as I realised how many holes would have to be drilled in the right place....

Hopefully by the weekend we'll have a video of the actual thing moving and made of metal...

McMullet
    Quick question of anyone has any thoughts... I'm not sure what would be the best way to implement a locking bar for this weapon, is it won't have a default position where you can slide something in to stop it deploying unlike an axe or a flipper, say. That means it would have to be actuated to the picking position at the end of each fight to line up the locking system, which may not always be possible. Anyone have any tips for locking a slow-moving weapon like this?

McMullet
    Ugh, sorry for the many typos, which I now can't correct as the forum won't let me edit....

Register To Comment