Register To Comment
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ensign Wedgeley Crusher (FW Sportsman)

Nice write up! I think this design could be really effective if you sorted out the wheelie and traction issues. The drive certainly has some beans, and the machine kept working the whole time too.

Also now that it's finished that crushing arm module looks so awesome. Like a real, proper fighting machine - love it.

Love the in-depth write-ups, it's a great little machine and enjoying watching it develop. Quite often you have to fight between team members because everyone wants to drive the robot; I love that you guys have a lottery to avoid having to drive 😂

In terms of traction, how much does the robot weigh now? I remember you saying it was quite light at a previous event (4.5kg ish?)
    Grippier tyres can help but weight plays a big part too. One of my earlier feathers had 4wd drill drive onto grippy blue wheels but I was disappointed with its lack of pushing ability. Turned out it only weighed 7.5kg so trying to push 12kg machines around was almost impossible. If it's closer to the weight limit, it should be able to hold its own more.

The videos have encouraged me to try and come along to the next one, just realised my current FW build is sportsman legal so will need to get involved.

McMullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Glad you had a good time! I really should have come over and see if I could have helped with the twitchy controls, it reminded me of The Honey Badger 2.x as to how quickly it was going (side note: I miss that robot).
    No worries! To be honest I don't like fiddling with the settings too much on the day, always worried I'll just make it worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    If it is July, potentially. Jibril and a upcoming BotFest event is my main focus at the moment but I would like to go to another RoboDojo event if I can get the availability to do so.
    Sounds good. I'd like to get over to BotFest too if I have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dotDominic View Post
    Nice write up! I think this design could be really effective if you sorted out the wheelie and traction issues. The drive certainly has some beans, and the machine kept working the whole time too.

Also now that it's finished that crushing arm module looks so awesome. Like a real, proper fighting machine - love it.
    Thanks! I was pleased with how the weapon looks, even if it needs some finessing to get it to work properly. I can neither confirm nor deny reports that I have been walking around the house pretending it is a robot hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    Love the in-depth write-ups, it's a great little machine and enjoying watching it develop. Quite often you have to fight between team members because everyone wants to drive the robot; I love that you guys have a lottery to avoid having to drive ������
    I think we might be a bit keener if we had the chance to practice before the event - at least now we have a finished robot to practice driving, just need to find a suitably empty car park or something. Although I think the current selection process will have to stay in place, it's a tradition now.

In terms of traction, how much does the robot weigh now? I remember you saying it was quite light at a previous event (4.5kg ish?)
    Grippier tyres can help but weight plays a big part too. One of my earlier feathers had 4wd drill drive onto grippy blue wheels but I was disappointed with its lack of pushing ability. Turned out it only weighed 7.5kg so trying to push 12kg machines around was almost impossible. If it's closer to the weight limit, it should be able to hold its own more.
    The first version was about 5.4 kg, with the new weapon we're about the same as you - 7.3 kg or thereabouts. I don't think we'll be making the kind of drastic changes that would require another 6 kg any time soon, but I suppose we can put some steel armour on, and possibly cobble together a SRiMech. Should give us a bit of extra grip.

We have also been thinking about adding an axe, but that's just so we can rename it "Axing Ensign Wedgeley Crusher". I'm not sure making a name that's already too long even longer is an entirely valid reason to make the change but it would also add some extra weight.

The videos have encouraged me to try and come along to the next one, just realised my current FW build is sportsman legal so will need to get involved.
    Excellent news! Look forward to it (28th of July is the pencilled-in date I think). What sort of FW is it?

Quote Originally Posted by McMullet View Post
    Excellent news! Look forward to it (28th of July is the pencilled-in date I think). What sort of FW is it?
    A crusher as well
    Just a used off-the-shelf linac from a mobility company but it's rated for about 300kg at 12V and I'll be running it on 5S, so hopefully will be able to give things a little nibble (if it doesn't destroy itself!) Driven by windscreen wiper motors for a bit of fun. Few more bits to finish off but got plenty of time.

61617841_2075397509422244_6465127327645827072_n.jpg

Looking like I'm free on July 28th so all systems go on that front.

McMullet
    Driven by windscreen wiper motors for a bit of fun.
    Ooh, classic! Presumably that works quite well with the giant wheels?

Yeah it has a reasonable amount of speed behind it, maybe not as nippy as a standard drill motor setup but it's more controllable.

Downside is that I finished it then stuck it on the scales, only to discover it's currently 14kg, so it's going to need to undergo the holey Razer-esque weight loss programme between now and RoboDojo!

McMullet
    Doesn't sound like much but I suspect 400 g means quite a lot of holes...

I decided to have a look at the motors today, partly to see if I could measure the coil resistance usefully with my teensy little DMM (was curious about the apparent change to Argos drill motor specs, as discussed in the FW subforum). Unsurprisingly I suppose, the coil resistance was too low to measure on a normal DMM (I might try setting up a 4-wire measurement sometime just to see).

The other reason was to check the motor mounts.

Right side is looking SOLID:

Well done right side.

How about the left side? Left side is...

GOOD GOD LEFT SIDE WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING

So it looks like that's another job to add to the list before RoboDojo...

I notice in your last picture that one of the metal pins on the gearbox has come loose. if one of those comes loose, the entire planetary setup can come loose or seize as well. I'd recommend putting a thick zip-tie around them in the future. I've sometimes had to re-adjust them after a fight, but I haven't had a gearbox fail since using this method mid-fight.

I recommend replacing the pin with an M3 x 45 bolt and a lock nut (nyloc nut) stops that

McMullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
    I notice in your last picture that one of the metal pins on the gearbox has come loose. if one of those comes loose, the entire planetary setup can come loose or seize as well. I'd recommend putting a thick zip-tie around them in the future. I've sometimes had to re-adjust them after a fight, but I haven't had a gearbox fail since using this method mid-fight.
    Yep, they were both loose in fact... the whole thing might well have come to pieces after a couple more fights. Cheers the for the advice, that's a good shout (and something I have knocking around - sadly no 45 mm M3s in the bits box, but thanks for that hint too Nat!).

Register To Comment