Register To Comment
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

McMullet
    Looking great Lucy. Impressive bit of precision garage engineering to get those lined up so nicely!

Team Kaizen

Aww, thanks Sam! I guess I just needed to have been a bit more brave with interpreting my diagram. Still having a bit of a nightmare with the shaft to get the bearings onto and I still need to figure out how to connect the gears to the shafts securely.

I've got some rear metal plates to go on the robot and working on getting the front plate made up along with a new Scythe-Axe. Bit of a long saga with them but my aim is to now have something battle ready by 2021.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

So... normally at the end of the year, I'd do a round up of the performance of the bots and the team in general. There really isn't much to say on the performance front. I attended the grand old sum of one event - Ant Freeze 6 - which I've already written about in a previous post so I'll cover what the statues of the robots are, what the plans for them are going forward and what is happening with BotFest.

Antweights - Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu and Ramu
    As I've mentioned before, Osu in its current form is now officially retired. I am sure I'll get around to rebuilding this one fairly soon, I've got some of the parts needed to do this. Ramu needs a new ESC which I've got one sitting around but it isn't the neat NanoTwo. It'll need a OrangeRX receiver to go with it.

Ikari remains pretty much as is though it now has a slightly thicker back plate with miniature wings on it so it won't end up on its side. Amai has some smaller wheels on it now and a PTFE wedge plate on the front for getting underneath opponents. It is still pretty scrappy but its held up fairly well given its really dodgy gluing :P Lafiel went under a rebuild but I found it was marginally too wide. I'll get around to rebuilding it again when time permits, all the electronics for that still work nicely.

Beetleweights - The Honey Badger and Shu!

The Honey Badger 4.0 has been looked at but hasn't had any repair work done since the 2019 BW championship. It needs at least new side panels out of black HDPE and a new wedge plate. Functionally, it seems to be fine. Shu! 2.0 was pretty much dismantled and will be rebuilt as Shu! 3.0 in a planned speed build challenge I am dreaming up.

Featherweights - Azriel
    Poor old Azriel 1.0 hasn't seen any action at all this year despite a new axe mechanism being fitted and a tidy up of the wiring. I had hoped to go to RoboDojo with it in July but circumstances here changed to prevent that. My current line of thinking with that is to build a completely new Azriel 2.0 to take advantage of a new Scythe-Axe that I've now got (many thanks Jamie) coupled to a brand new gearing mechanism. The 1.0 version will then become a test bed for my brushless programmer tool which I talked about earlier on in the year.

Before that happens though, I am hoping to stage a fight with it facing the original Honey Badger 1.0. I found a ESC and some batteries, threw those on the original test chassis (from 2016/17!) and it runs, albeit without a weapon at the moment since the mount is still badly twisted. However, I argue it runs better than it did back in Grantham!

Middleweights - Jibril and Kaizen
    Jibril 2.0 has been the most talked about thing in this build diary this year and it is coming along reasonably nicely. It needs a lot of the armour cutting and bolting onto it along with the new Scythe-Axe which I am currently in talks with someone to get cut for me. There is still a bunch of work to do on the carrier for the weapon to make it more secure than the 1.x versions in terms of securing gears to the shafts and so on but its coming along. I did a build video of the construction of the carrier as well :P

Kaizen I am planning to bring back next year with a ever growing parts collection here for it. Once Jibril 2.0 is done, I'll see about getting started with that.

BotFest
    Oh boy... so as you may know, BotFest 4 was cancelled twice and, if being honest, the second time it was cancelled, that costed me financially. Of course, with the way things are at the moment, I can't say when it'll be back. I am *hoping* for a return anywhere from March onwards but I just can't say when that will be at the moment. Things aren't entirely standing still though, more to come on that later in 2021...

Miscellaneous
    I've been dabbling with creating my own brushless ESC programmer as I think I alluded to earlier on in the year. Still working out some kinks in it but the general idea is to have something automatically create a suitable .hex file from the SimonK assembly files and then be able to flash that onto the ESC. I've had mixed results from it so far but when I've sorted the kinks out, I'll see about releasing it for everyone to try (provided you have a USBAsp programming tool).

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    BotFest
    Oh boy... so as you may know, BotFest 4 was cancelled twice and, if being honest, the second time it was cancelled, that costed me financially. Of course, with the way things are at the moment, I can't say when it'll be back. I am *hoping* for a return anywhere from March onwards but I just can't say when that will be at the moment. Things aren't entirely standing still though, more to come on that later in 2021...
    Definitely can understand if you don't want to put a date on it until you know things are sure. With the way the pandemic is going, there's still no end in sight I would say. Definitely nothing where anyone can put a 'for sure' on things by then.

I will try to get another ant together before then, as I enjoyed BotFest 1 all the way back in [date here], hopefully I can arrive with something more better than the aptly named 'Send Help!'.

McMullet
    Nice video! Jibril is looking awesome, really compact and mean-looking. One question though, could you possibly include a few more different types of fastener on the base plate? I think you might have missed one or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    I'm really looking forward to making it to BotFest [some number]. Very happy to chip in a few quid to cover your costs!

Team Kaizen

I will try to get another ant together before then, as I enjoyed BotFest 1 all the way back in [date here], hopefully I can arrive with something more better than the aptly named 'Send Help!'.
    I had to look back for the date but it was the 29th of July 2018, which feels like an age ago now! Looking forwards to seeing what you bring to the next one

Nice video! Jibril is looking awesome, really compact and mean-looking. One question though, could you possibly include a few more different types of fastener on the base plate? I think you might have missed one or two!
    They are somewhat unavoidable. One in the main central bulkhead is where the axe motor goes and the ones in the very corners of the baseplate were because of me and poor measuring. In all honesty, they won't matter as much since HDPE doesn't shatter like Polycarbonate does.

I'm really looking forward to making it to BotFest [some number]. Very happy to chip in a few quid to cover your costs!
    We'll see how things pan out. Looking forwards to seeing you there

Team Kaizen

First update of this diary for 2021!

Jibril
    I've tidied up the wiring loom somewhat so that the drive ESC, the fuse and the removable link all sit on a HDPE board, which also forms the battery box. Had a moderately scary moment where, after doing this, the whole thing wouldn't power on but turned out to be a dodgy solder on my part.

wirng_tidy.jpg

The 10mm Polycarbonate for the lids arrived and will be drilling and affixing those fairly soon. The carrier for the axe has had some reinforcement but still needs a fair bit of work. Most notably, I still need to figure out a good way of holding the gear on the shaft. I have a Aldi special welder which I've never used, worth giving a go here?

The A28-400 motor still needs holding down with a U bolt. Problem is, the imperial size bolts on the face of the motor I can't adequately screw in where it is on the carrier to ensure proper alignment. Means I'll have to get a set of imperial size spanners. However, beyond this, there really isn't that much more to do aside from attach the panels and the Scythe-Axe when it finally comes.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 19th January 2021 at 16:19.

McMullet
    Looks very tidy Lucy. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the Aldi welder - I've been tempted to get one.

Happy new year!

Team Kaizen

Happy new year to you too Sam!

As far as I understand it, its a Inverter Welder (ref: https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-inve...85506226214500) which having watched a few videos on it, seems reasonably easy to use though I might invest in some thick gloves and ear defenders. I find the hissing/sparking noise quite alarming.

Sounds like a cheap and cheerful welder. Mine is a second hand one from Gary, which cost him £50 from Makro about 12 years ago. Surprisingly still going strong, used it for all the welding on Coyote, Shunt and the majority of Dead Metal. Just set it to the desired current, attach the earth clamp and weld away.

If it's a one-off bit of welding, that supplied mask will be okay but if you see yourself doing more, I'd recommend getting an auto-darkening welding helmet on eBay. Can be got for £20-£30 with some stylish designs. It will free up your other hand and will let you see the workpiece as you go to strike it up. Arc welding gloves too, as you mentioned. Also a slag chipping hammer and wire brush are handy. I used to just use my claw hammer but the chipping hammer has some vibration protection and can get into more nooks and crannies.

Register To Comment