Register To Comment
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

The Honey Badger
    Unfortunately, I ended up with what turned out to be the C-Virus on the Friday, a couple of days after I finished the rebuild (which I filmed hastily) so the Badger didn't see any action at Chatham. Felt pretty rotten about it having to pull out at the last minute but it had to happen, I just wasn't well enough to drive 5 hours one way.

Jibril & Azriel
    This has a knock on implication for Robots Live at Stoke. By the next weekend when this event is on, I should at least be testing negative but it does mean getting hold of parts is tricky. The RoboClaw ESC needs some work to make work in the existing wiring for Jibril. Azriel is fine to run. I am rather glad not to be running solo these days.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Robots Live! Stoke 2022
    Going into this, I knew Jibril needed some work. The axe worked fine but the drive needed some addressing so as we got into the event, off came the side to work out why the gears weren't meshing. It looks as if the base plate had twisted so one side of the wheel support was lower than the other, causing a lack of decent engagement. Some washers went in and a test drive later (including a slide into the pit) and it seemed to work OK. It still wasn't engaging fully but good enough to fight with. Azriel needed only minor fiddling before the event.

Jibril
    Saturday was interesting in that I managed to get into the Heavyweight competition with F7 as a cluster, fighting Tenshe, Yoton and Uriel. I think the gear started to slip right at the start of the fight but I definitely got a few good blows in on Uriel before Tenshe enforced flying lessons and I ended up on my back. I appeared to have no power as the axe didn't respond at all, nor did the drive. It transpired that one of the battery cables had wrapped itself around a wheel and tore the wire off the connector in a familiar repeat of Cheltenham 2019. Doh.

The Sunday morning we arrived late but as there wasn't any HW whiteboards running in the first event, I took my time and adjusted the wheel properly so the gears meshed correctly. In testing, Jibril is very accurate in driving. I can point it in "a" direction and get it where I want to go without it spinning off. However, the axe was a casualty where the grub pins on the pinion second stage had failed. It was "working" but there wasn't very much power being transmitted.

However, because it was driving fine, I was OK with throwing it into a HW melee at the end of the second show. This ended up being against Tornado, Gabriel, Switch, Thunderchild and Eruption. This effectively became a repeat of the first fight where Eruption flipped me clean out of the arena. Apparently they had been told not to do that but meh, I was just glad to have a MW that was working.

Jibril needs some work before the next event. Obviously the grub pins need fixing, the axe needs reattaching and some tidying up of the electronics but otherwise still works OK.

Azriel
    The featherweight went into 6 Melee battles and by the end, was quite worn out. The batteries aren't charging fully anymore, the alignment on the axe gears has failed so in the last couple of fights it was tempermental as to wherever it worked or not and most crucially, despite multiple attempts at repair, the wiring situation meant that it was constantly cutting out.

That being said, it survived one of the melee fights and came close to doing so on a few others but now is the time to completely overhaul and rebuild Azriel. Bear in mind, this robot was put togteher on a shoestring budget and from spare parts dating back as old as The Honey Badger 2.x so its done well for what it has in it.

I am hoping to debut Azriel 2.0 at EXR Colchester later on this year.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 25th July 2022 at 11:47.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment