Register To Comment
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

I understand, it isn't a bother, it had been a long day up until that point and I was dealing with a few things myself besides the robot combat. Events can be overwhelming, you do get used to it.

Hahahaha, Osu really needs a rebuild. It took a little bit of damage from Nemesis mk2 but nothing untoward. However, it is getting a bit long in the tooth and does definitely need it. I do see them pop up on eBay and Amazon occasionally, just haven't had a reason to buy a tub until now :P It is a bit of a pig to drive because one side has a 100:1 motor, the other a 298:1 motor.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

McMullet
    Can't you just use a wheel 3 times bigger on the side that turns slower?

Team Kaizen

Hahahahaha, I suspect it wouldn't fit in the 4 inch cube then! I want to put another 298:1 motor in since that was what it was orginially meant to have run anyway but I've gotten used to the weird control on it. Osu 3.0 is going to be new build alongside Osu 2.2.

Small updates:

Azriel
    So the original 2WD build I had planned is scrapped. I need the parts for the rebuild of Shu! when I get a moment but having acquired another Sabretooth and already having the parts to hand pretty much, I am going to do a build challenge and have Azriel done in an evening so I can meet the 10th of February mobility proof deadline.

To keep it simple (ish), I am going to build Azriel in the same vein as Kaizen, just a lot smaller and iron out some of the flaws from the design of the old Middleweight. I'll see if I can film this as well.

Jibril
    The inner bearings are now secured down and I can get started cutting out and mounting the internal HDPE faceplates for the CIM motors. I may need to get some longer 10-32 bolts but we'll see. Thursday is when I should be able to get this done for both sides.

Team Kaizen

As ever, a few updates.

Azriel

I've had to pull out of the UWE Beetle event. The suppliers of the motors only had two in stock and the other two arrived on the Friday. Great, I can spend an afternoon getting it ready I thought but then a personal setback laid me out for Friday evening and then pretty much all of Saturday and I am just not able to do any bot building on the Sunday either so it wasn't going to happen.

That being said, I have got the basics of the chassis and the 4 motors screwed down so it does roll at the very least. Will be securing the drive ESCs and the batteries down over this week to get it moving at least. I also found a 50:1 motor that will serve nicely as a axe motor, meaning the 67:1 motor I had planned originally can go back into Shu!

Jibril
    I've started making a mockup of a motor mating plate but the space inside the robot is telling, at the back, there just isn't any and it is going to make mounting this plate fiddly. I might have to reconsider this 2:1 motor arrangement...

A second axe pinion gear arrived a few days ago so now I have all the parts here bar the axe shaft and head. Just a case of building the thing now.

McMullet
    Sorry to hear you missed out on the event.

The 2 motor/1 wheel thing does look a bit awkward. What's the alternative? 4wd? Or bigger motors?

Team Kaizen

Sorry to hear you missed out on the event.
    Aye, there'll be other events. Just a case of bad timing and missing parts. I've got Azriel running and will update tonight on that.

The 2 motor/1 wheel thing does look a bit awkward. What's the alternative? 4wd? Or bigger motors?
    4WD isn't possible with the tooling I have here (I lack heavy duty stuff to cut through the steel efficiently) and the lack of wheels and drive gears. Kaizen used a independent 4WD setup which wad dead simple but the space requirements means Jibril would need a belt or chain drive to the wheels, none of which I have the equipment for.

I considered getting a pair of Ampflow motors but that means more expense and a new set of drive gears. I could theoretically go brushless with this but for the moment, the 2x motors I do have and can fit should be enough (they are nominally rated for 330W but 500W a side should be enough, Kaizen was 800W at best). I think I might fit some small fixed castors at the bottom to over come the drag. Just got a lot on before RL Burgess Hill at the end of March.

I still think, with a bit of ingenuity, it will be possible to fit in the second set of motors.

Team Kaizen

Update time!

Azriel
    So the bodywork is kind of together and the wiring loom is in. It all works! However, once again, it's too heavy by 100mm. Ultimately, it's the polycarbonate causing the problems here. A 300mm square sheet is ~200g and the bolts and all that used to hold it all together are just too big. So while I've got it working, it needs to be smaller still. I'll be ordering some new 3mm Polycarbonate and probably going to something like 150mm square instead.

Jibril
    I've ordered a set of U bolts to hold down the front motors and will hopefully have them tomorrow. I'll steal the wiring loom out of Kaizen and see how it works but I am relatively confident it will work. I think I'll get some front fixed castors for the front to help it move but all being well... we'll see. I still want to go for the 2:1 drive system and I think I can do that if I raise the motor up a little onto a elevated position, causing the motor to move forwards on the drive gear so I can get the bolts down to the base.

Team Kaizen

Another one of those pesky updates.

Jibril
    The motor U bolts went in over this week and I've been drilling the drive gears to attach the wheels onto. After destroying the clutch on one drill, I ended up with a B&Q £15 drill to go through solid steel with. A small hint, they are not beefy enough (smoke was pouring out of the drill) but eventually, got the gears drilled, the U bolts in and amazingly, through some kind of accident, it works.

DSCF6722.JPG

I say works, there is still a lot to do. In no particular order:

• The batteries need securing down
    • The wiring loom needs a bit of a tidy up and extending for the axe
    • The axe drive gear needs drilling for the axe arm
    • The axe arm and head needs building
    • The axe ESC needs putting in
    • The steel box section need painting
    • The top panel needs a hole for the removable link, power lights and the locking mechanism for the axe.
    • Fixed front castors need installing.

Much to do, not a lot of time to do it in. Eeek :P

McMullet
    Hooray! It works. That is indeed a reasonably long list, but getting it moving must feel like getting over a big hump.

All sounds like it's running smoothly so you must have everything lined up nicely.

Team Kaizen

It does sound very nice and indeed, a big hurdle. Even if I don't get the axe fitted, I can run it as a rambot at RL Burgess Hill. I definitely haven't got everything lined up arrow straight but hey, whatever works.

It looks as if the MW championship is in November this year. I am fairly sure I can rebuild Kaizen for then as well. I am simply out of room to store it assembled at the moment but it'd be nice to have two running this year. Need to start thinking about rebuilding The Honey Badger as well though that'll take a few days at most.

Register To Comment