Register To Comment
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

I'm pretty sure I could handle the motors conversion part but the programming of an ECU looks quite daunting for a novice , on a scale of one to ten , how hard is that programming ? .

Team Kaizen

Thanks for the detailed write ups! It's great to see the kind of steps even if, as you say, there may be some variation in the nitty-gritty.
    Many thanks. With brushless tech, there is always going to be some variation, likely down to the different builds of the motors themselves along with any differences in the ESC boards themselves.

I'm pretty sure I could handle the motors conversion part but the programming of an ECU looks quite daunting for a novice , on a scale of one to ten , how hard is that programming ? .
    It does require patience and some knowledge of how AC motors work (as I noted in the last update post). To actually do the flashing procedure itself is easy enough with the tools I mentioned but knowing what values into put in there can be a lesson in patience. I'd say on a scale of 1-10, this is a 3 or a 4 though I should point out, my trade is software development so I probably have a skewed viewpoint on such.

I've got it a little smoother on 6S LiFe but with that said, I am working on something to make the whole programming brushless ESCs easier to work on.

I'll have a update later in the week, parts for Jibril arrived today and I want to get on with that as well.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 31st July 2019 at 17:18.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    So this robot... oh this robot. As I mentioned in my last post, the body parts arrived yesterday and last night, I did a mock build of the robot. This is the first robot I'll have where I did a little bit of CAD work on it.

mock_build.jpg

Obviously, that isn't the finished look, there is a lot to do. This was more just to see what the robot will roughly look like. The side arms are 5mm ARMOX panels that should add to the look of this thing when done. I am hoping to get the basic bodywork done by the end of next week to start transferring all of the electronics out of the old robot into the new one. I am aiming for a day at EXR Colchester with this so plenty to do.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    I've started putting in the threaded inserts into the bulkheads. 20x M10 threaded inserts, it is a bit of a slog but at least progress is finally underway. At the rate of progress, I am hoping to transfer the drive components in by the end of this week. I may have to make a slight adjustment in the central bulkhead for the weapon as so not to compromise the integrity of the shell but it isn't a drastic change, should be fine.

Azriel
    I've not had any time to work on the physical build but I've had some time to write up a program that makes alternations to the SimonK firmware so it should just be a case of plugging in some variables and it generate a file which can then be flashed to the ESC. I need to setup my test rig again to try out the new files being generated (and adjust if required) but I have some hope that it'll work (though I have just noticed a bug in it so... a way to go just yet :P)
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 5th August 2019 at 23:18.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    The basic body of the robot is now complete and ready for component installation. Unfortunately, real life has reared its head and I've just not been able to get as much work done on it as I would like. At this rate, I am unlikely to make it with this version of Jibril to EXR Colchester so what I might do, barring a massive leap forwards, is to build a proper axe support and reinforce the gears in Jibril 1.1 (to make it 1.2) and run that at EXR Colchester for the day before running Jibril 2.0 at EXR Maidstone.

Currently weighing in at 13.9kg with the top panels and the bolts to hold the lids down. Now that the basic bodywork is done, I can start adding in the internal components to make it actually move. I will say though, the overall shape so far is rather inspiring. Guess that shows how far I've come in building these things. Would like a rematch with Earthquake one day.

basic_body.jpg

Azriel
    I'll be putting Azriel back together over this week I think. I need to get some new wheels and wheel hubs but nothing that can't be sorted fairly easily. It'll be interesting to see how the brushless drive performs in this machine. Since Jibril is still going to be using its F30-150 motor, I can't swap out that into Azriel until the A28-150 motor goes into the new robot so for the moment, it'll be sticking with the CIM motor.

Team Kaizen

Been quiet here, huh? I needed time off from robots but slowly getting back. I am still planning on going to EXR Colchester for the Saturday only.

Jibril
    So as I've mentioned, I'll be running Jibril 1.2 at EXR Colchester but, space permitting, I might bring the frame of 2.0 as well. I've taken the old axe bearings out and have made up a new deadshaft axe mount. It needs some brackets but once that is done, a bit more strengthing work is needed on the axe gearbox before it goes all back together. I plan to work on this over the week so hope to have something to show on Friday.

Azriel
    Started getting the wheels ready to refit onto the robot which won't take very long. Because of the limited amount of time to go until EXR Colchester, I'll probably stick with the HDPE axe shaft for now. Again, should be done fairly soon, just a case of reassembly.

BotFest arena + Ants
    The BotFest arena has been dry fitted and mercifully, the one piece floor fits without issue. Tested filming with an action camera yesterday in a few mock battles (since I was on my own, I was driving both robots with each hand) and it looks good. The floor definitely wants painting and detailing but I can do that the week before the event. The Ants are as ready as they'll ever be.

Team Kaizen

Aww, thanks! I am looking forwards to the event as well, it'll be good to see everyone again.

Team Kaizen

Azriel
    I wired up the robot, flashed the second ESC and tried to get it mobile. It worked for a brief, glorious moment before one of the gear pinions came loose in the gearbox. I don't think, based on what I have seen, it is going to be any quicker than the old 775 motors but there is definitely some improvement in the software to the speed controllers, it is still stuttering off the line. I'll also need some HDPE panel to sit the thinner motor on cause I can see it wobbling in there.

I also definitely need new Gimson hubs again :S

Jibril
    Tomorrow, whilst at a D&D session, I'll be working to get the Scythe working properly again. All the parts are available now, just need time to sit down and actually mend it now. Batteries need charging and that drive grub screw needs replacing and threadlocking.

However, after EXR Colchester, all will be changing. This version of Jibril will become the new Kaizen (just to confuse everyone some more :P). Likely not to be an axebot but I've not really decided on the weapon yet. That means the CIM motors will be staying in this robot. I might pickup some more for Jibril 2.0, depends on the money really. Got a lot planned for 2020.

McMullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Tomorrow, whilst at a D&D session, I'll be working to get the Scythe working properly again.
    May you roll many 20s for your scythe wrangling!

Register To Comment