Register To Comment
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Post a pic of the failed esc and the coil you think it was, and perhaps someone could repair it, or if your along to Guildford I could take a look and advise

Team Kaizen

This is a picture of the capacitor. Spot the damage. :P

JPEG_20190530_172234.jpg

So this and the knackered coil (which I don't have a picture of) were the only visible damage I can see. The coil I have fixed before on the Scythe ESC so I know the procedure to fix it but I don't have a spare capacitor of that rating around.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 2nd June 2019 at 14:02.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Redirect Left
    Are you sure the capacitor has died? It looks like surface damage that hasn't gone all the way in entirely.

if you have a multimeter you can test if it has died or is behaving oddly. Incase you don't know how, set the meter into high ohms (anything above 20k to a sensible number high works), when the capacitor is linked in line it should start at 0.00 then slowly rise to infinity. You'd need to desolder the capacitor to do this test, else the circuit will suck up the energy, if you happen to have an ESR meter you could do it inline without desoldering. If the number stays at 0, the capacitor is dead or the leads were attached with the wrong polarity. Can also do capacitance tests on it if the multimeter supports it to see if its reaching its target (or within a few % of it), te ohm test is a basic "all or dead" test.

Before you start and when done testing, I personally find a metal screwdriver and short the capacitor at the pins, just to make sure its discharged entirely.
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 2nd June 2019 at 22:41.

What is the rating of the cap? Looks like it may be slightly dented and scuffed. Would be easy to repair that too. What’s the spec and I can take a look in the components tub, also spec of the coil too and can check

Team Kaizen

if you have a multimeter you can test if it has died or is behaving oddly.
    It was one of the first things I tried to do but the multimeter I have here died as well. Needs a new battery. I've been watching a few electronics videos and the subject of capacitor discharge has come up a few times, good advice though, I'll remember to do that.

The capacitor feels like it has blown out, there is a definite outward pattern to the mark and a raised ridge. It does smell like electrical burn but it isn't clear to me.

What is the rating of the cap? Looks like it may be slightly dented and scuffed. Would be easy to repair that too. What’s the spec and I can take a look in the components tub, also spec of the coil too and can check
    The coil is a "680" coil, so I assume it is a inductor coil like this: https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...4bT3wBwsbAQ%3D

The capacitor is a 63V 2200uF version (CD11X). Luckily, Cytron (the maker of the ESCs) stock all these parts separately so I believe it is one of these: https://www.cytron.io/c-electrolytic...gory.discovery

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    The capacitor is a 63V 2200uF version (CD11X). Luckily, Cytron (the maker of the ESCs) stock all these parts separately so I believe it is one of these: https://www.cytron.io/c-electrolytic...gory.discovery
    This is what I love about Cytron, they sell the individual parts to fix things at decent prices.
    Once you've removed the other capacitor, i'd test it when possible just to see if it is in working order, always good to have spares if alive instead of binning things i find.

Team Kaizen

I don't plan on binning this, I need it for a rebuild of Kaizen later on this year. Just the timing of it all meant I had to get a new ESC entirely for Jibril.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    The replacement ESC has arrived. Installed that and now the robot now moves. I say "moves", "hops" might be a better descriptor. The whole being catapulted into the ceiling thing has bent the driveshafts. It'll go into the arena but... yeeeaaahhh. If I get time over the week, I'll get the shafts out and put them in a vice to straighten them. Hardened steel shafts are on order.

Also on order is the parts for a two stage gearbox for the Scythe, upping the ratio from 4.5:1 to 15.75:1. It might actually be able to actually cause damage now. Oh, at the Scythe head is now pink as well. :P

Azriel
    The chassis parts are finally on order! Once they are on the robot, actually finishing it will be fairly simple as lots of parts are scavenged from Kaizen. The axe mechanism will remain the same but I'll be fashioning a new axe for it. I must confess, the drive motors are smelling... pretty awful. Kaizen had a very unhealthy habit of making 775 motors explode and these smell burnt.

McMullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    ...the Scythe head is now pink as well. :P
    I feel this merits a photo!

Sounds like good progress, though the bent driveshafts are annoying...

Team Kaizen

The bent driveshafts... probably a design flaw. They are only 10mm wide. A refit of Jibril will make them 12mm hardened steel but I might get away with 10mm hardened steel. Doesn't help they are longer than is required as well.

A picture! There are still a few bits I need to tidy up.

20190604_133350.jpg

The parts for the two stage box won't be here until the 12th so 10 days to get it built before RL Grantham, which I am doing both days at.

Register To Comment