Register To Comment
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Mr Manuva27
    Merry Christmas! New Jibril looks brilliant, can't wait to see it finished and in action.

Team Kaizen

Hahahah, thanks. Hopefully I'll get time to work on it properly before too long.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Update time!

Jibril
    I've ordered a 600x300mm sheet of HDPE to replace the polycarbonate bottom to prevent a repeat of what happened during the 2019 MW championship. This has left me with a bit of a problem because I can't make the robot mobile until that comes. In the meantime though, I've been cutting the front arms down to make a wedge front and will measure up for some Hardox or Armox along the front (likely the latter).

jibril_2-0_january_2019.jpg

It really does look the business, doesn't it? The next stages to go, in order so I can refer back to it :P

• Add extra support to the uprights
    • Fit the HDPE base plate
    • Cut out wheel holes
    • Create wheel mounts
    • Mount wheels on 10mm titanium shafts
    • Mount motors with U bolts
    • Create battery compartment
    • Create new wiring loom (see picture below)
    • Fit front wedges
    • Fit top lid

This wiring loom from the original Jibril has seen better days. I recall being quite happy with the soldering when I made this (I think this was for Kaizen) but.. yeah... it could do with a fresh one.

20200101_193610.jpg

Unnamed Antweight
    I've retired Osu from combat and have decided on building a new Antweight to replace it. Osu will still be kicking around for show fights and generally just messing around with.

Since Ikari has finally found some success as a lifter bot, that'll stick as being that for the moment. This antweight is going to be a spinner to replace what Ikari was intended to be. I've ordered most of the parts but I need to get a 3mm hub for the spinner itself, likely a bar spinner but I've not sat down to draw this one out yet. Hoping to have it ready by Ant Freeze 7.

McMullet
    Merry Christmas, or I suppose happy new year or whatever now.

Jibril is looking suitably mean now, the spiky front does indeed look the biz.

HDPE seems like a good plan for the chassis given the smashed-up condition of the old polycarb. How do you think it will hold up with the U bolts though? It's such a soft material I'd worry they'll start to wobbly quite readily unless the compression is quite spread out.

Keep up the good work as ever!

Team Kaizen

Jibril is looking suitably mean now, the spiky front does indeed look the biz.
    Haaahhaa, thanks. I am not too sure how well the arms will stand up but I can always get them remade if needed.

HDPE seems like a good plan for the chassis given the smashed-up condition of the old polycarb. How do you think it will hold up with the U bolts though? It's such a soft material I'd worry they'll start to wobbly quite readily unless the compression is quite spread out.
    With suitably wide washers top and bottom of the threaded section of the U bolts, I doubt this will be too much of an issue. I can always get a inner plate of aluminum or steel (or indeed, another sheet of polycarbonate) to rest the components on if it is needed but at the moment, I can't see this being an issue. What is an issue is that I've done the same thing as Jibril 1.x and not left myself a lot of space in the bays to fit all of this in.
    20200104_183907.jpg

Bear in mind, I've still got to get the A28-150 motor in for the weapon, the batteries and all the electronics. The little sheet of polycarbonate you can see in the picture underneath the wheel and motor is A5 size for reference.

It is the same story with Azriel as well. Now that the F30-150 motor is liberated, it should be going in Azriel but again, space is at a premium. It should fit but...
    20200104_184415.jpg

That being said, I know how to "fix" that. I don't think I'll be able to come to the January Dojo with it so unless there is one before May time when EXR Portsmouth is, that is when both Azriel 1.0 and Jibril 2.0 are debuting.

Mr Manuva27
    I don't think I'll be able to come to the January Dojo with it so unless there is one before May time when EXR Portsmouth is, that is when both Azriel 1.0 and Jibril 2.0 are debuting.
    Next featherweight dojo is 22nd March after January!

Team Kaizen

Cool, thanks for the information. I'll need to see closer to the time if the stars line up to allow me to go to that.

Team Kaizen

That weird and wonderful update time.

Lafiel
    The unnamed antweight is now called Lafiel and this has been an utter pain throughout. Since the success of Ikari, I've been trying to refine how I build these things with a bit more sense but it just is a pain. I had a 2mm thick 304 stainless steel bar made and attached to a 3mm hub, works fine. That comes to 17.5g but I couldn't find the Turnigy 2204C motor I wanted to use with it so had to settle with a Surpass motor which looks and is considerably bigger despite it also being labelled a 2204 (though I saw a label on the box suggesting it was a 2822). This is about 25g.

The body itself was made out of 1.5 + 4mm polycarbonate and some 0.25mm PTFE or something like that but despite my best efforts, this thing weighs 157g and honestly looks like rubbish. I am not giving up though, I am going to B&Q tonight to see if I can make a triangular chassis for this.

Jibril
    This has a new baseplate of 12mm HDPE and after I've finished putting Lafiel together, I will focus almost exclusively on this. I've commissioned a set of motor mounts from Nat to mount the CIM motors properly to avoid the issues with the U bolts I had in Jibril 1.x but I maintain they are a solid choice to clamp the motors down with.If the mounts work, which I am sure they will, I might get one done for the Ampflow A28-150 going into the robot.

I've been designing and redesigning the Scythe and the carrier to try and plan out any potential issues I might have. The carrier I might just end up building myself but the Scythe is going to be 10mm ARMOX. I've done a fair bit of weight saving in it so that although it is about the same size as the current one, it is going to be much lighter and so should hit faster. I'll be coupling that to a "near as makes no difference" 20:1 gearbox. I just need to get over the worry I have I'll muck this up.

Team Kaizen

Lafiel
    Well after some weight saving nightmares, I reverted to type and used a sweets tub (Cadbury Roses this time) to build the shell out of for this one. I have some reservations as to how strong it'll be but I'd plastered it with glue and melting plastic so it might be OK. Never the less, at 142g, here is Lafiel 1.0 and yes, it is going to Ant Freeze!

Ikari & Amai
    Thanks to Lafiel, I had to remake the back panel as I didn't immediately see where it had flown off to. The new panel should hopefully keep the robot on the wheels as it's angled at touch. This therefore makes it Ikari 3.1 and this will also be going to Ant Freeze. Amai has a new battery but otherwise is pretty much the same. I might make some little guides for it if we are playing Nuts or similar.

Register To Comment