Register To Comment
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

McMullet
    Looks fab!

Sorry you won't be making it to Robodojo with Azriel. Any plans for what sort of weapon you'll put on it?

Team Kaizen

Looking good, been nice reading back through the diary of Jibril coming along after seeing it at BotFest!

Hopefully get to fight it some day
    Many thanks! It still isn't "done" but it'll get there.

Looks fab!

Sorry you won't be making it to Robodojo with Azriel. Any plans for what sort of weapon you'll put on it?
    Azriel will also be an axebot. I have the original axe mechanism from Kaizen which will be suitable. That being said, I may still make it to RoboDojo with Jibril for testing so you might see it up close. If I can get the parts together, I might have Azriel built during the day. Apart from chassis parts, I have all the parts here.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    So I went to RoboDojo this weekend with Jibril with mixed results.

On the plus side, the extra castor at the front does seem to help with driving, Ian commented that it seems to drive with relatively good precision and once the metal axe is on the robot, it'll help with the general traction issues I've been having with it.

However, the Scythe axe continues to be one disaster after another. The ESC for the axe has broke, looks like a capacitor or something has been sheared off. The ESC reports it is getting a signal but with no output to the motor and I am unable to get the robot out of the car now until Portsmouth (one disadvantage of having your workshop on the first floor). I've ordered a new ESC but that may not arrive in time so just feeling a bit peeved about that.

Still, let's see what happens. I traced the major wiring at RoboDojo and that seems to be OK so either there is a break somewhere I am missing perhaps a connection has fouled up.

Will you still be comming to Portsmouth? Perhaps fix it during the first show ready for next?

Team Kaizen

Yes, even if I wasn't competing, I am bringing another roboteer and his robot down for the day anyway. The replacement ESC has been shipped anyway so it might get here by Friday. Cue frantic wiring to get it all working again :P. I may have a chance on the Wednesday to see how the current ESC is and wherever I can fix it.

I might still run Jibril as a ram bot for EXR Portsmouth but I really do not want to, it just lacks something if it running without the Scythe.

Team Kaizen

It's that time again!

Jibril
    The replacement ESC has turned up earlier than expected so I plumbed that in and the Axe worked... briefly. To try and avoid a repeat of the situation at RoboDojo, I took the ESC off the standoff plate and shuffled it a little bit to avoid the same issue happening and for a few brief glorious moments, it did. It was putting big dents in the wooden trolley I am using to transport Jibril on and that was the plastic Scythe Axe seen at RL Burgess Hill which must weigh 500g tops.

However... the output gear then slipped on the shaft sidewards and the axe arm promptly KO'ed the second speed controller in exactly the same place as the first one. I wasn't pleased.

Anyway, today was a bit better as the Scythe Axe is back from the engineers and it is pretty mighty. 3.5kg total weight. I've wedged in some HDPE rod to act as a shock absorber. It just needs to be mounted to the robot, which I'll do at Portsmouth. I've also broken out the soldering iron and fixed the first ESC so now that works again. I've also put the Axe on its own receiver but coming from the same transmitter so with any luck, this will finally solve the jitteriness issue I keep on coming across.

The list of things to do (in no order):
    1. Fit the tether to the axe head
    2. Paint the axe
    3. Fit nyloc nuts to the axe head
    4. Get a slot cut into the front bar
    5. Move the Axe ESC to be on top of the drive ESC.
    Bring on EXR Portsmouth!

McMullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Jibril
    So I went to RoboDojo this weekend with Jibril with mixed results.

On the plus side, the extra castor at the front does seem to help with driving, Ian commented that it seems to drive with relatively good precision and once the metal axe is on the robot, it'll help with the general traction issues I've been having with it.
    Ah I didn't realise you'd had it driving on Sunday! Sorry to have missed that. I was possibly at the cafe down down the road stuffing my face because I'd had no breakfast...

However... the output gear then slipped on the shaft sidewards and the axe arm promptly KO'ed the second speed controller in exactly the same place as the first one. I wasn't pleased.
    Nooooooooooooo! I bet.

Anyway, today was a bit better as the Scythe Axe is back from the engineers and it is pretty mighty. 3.5kg total weight. I've wedged in some HDPE rod to act as a shock absorber. It just needs to be mounted to the robot, which I'll do at Portsmouth. I've also broken out the soldering iron and fixed the first ESC so now that works again. I've also put the Axe on its own receiver but coming from the same transmitter so with any luck, this will finally solve the jitteriness issue I keep on coming across.

The list of things to do (in no order):
    1. Fit the tether to the axe head
    2. Paint the axe
    3. Fit nyloc nuts to the axe head
    4. Get a slot cut into the front bar
    5. Move the Axe ESC to be on top of the drive ESC.
    Bring on EXR Portsmouth!
    Hooray! That sounds pretty feasible. Good luck!

Team Kaizen

Ah it's fine, you'll see it do its thing from a video at EXR Portsmouth no doubt. Just got to hope the axe motor is strong enough to actually fire this thing.

Glad the ESC was repairable for the first one, do you know what went pop in the new one?

That's an interesting idea having the weapon just on its own receiver, potentially could solve some design niggles I had with mine. I've seen separate drive pods, but it never occurred to me to do that!
    Look forward to seeing you at Portsmouth, Happy to assist if you need help with the axe

Team Kaizen

The same thing as the first one. It wasn't so much pop as mechanical interference. Where the Axe ESC is, the motor and mechanism is right above it and it is only 100mm tall. When in place, the "680" small coil you see in the picture is directly underneath the axe arm and is knocked out of the seating position, breaking the solders. I knew it was in a bad place to begin with but given the robot has about 400mm squared internal space in it, I was struggling to find anywhere to get it to fit without having the axe mechanism on top of the robot, which I didn't like on Kaizen.

20190517_113325.jpg

I'll be repositioning the ESC again to sit on top of the drive ESC. Not ideal as that limits airflow but should still be ample. Thanks for the offer to help, I'll bear that in mind.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 17th May 2019 at 12:04.

Register To Comment