Register To Comment
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Hi Lucy
    I think the 10 mm driveshaft are far too lightweight in a middleweight especially when your in the arena
    against heavyweights, I use 22 mm over 6 inch length in Mean Machine and seriously worry about them getting bent.

Glad to hear you might get to Grantham it means I might get a win against at least one Robot -only kidding .

Team Kaizen

Hi Colin,

I think the 10 mm driveshaft are far too lightweight in a middleweight especially when your in the arena
    against heavyweights, I use 22 mm over 6 inch length in Mean Machine and seriously worry about them getting bent.
    I know why I went for 10mm, it was the biggest HSS drill bit I had at the time and it allowed me to align everything nice and neatly. After EXR Bolton, I might ditch doing a rebuild of Kaizen to refit Jibril with gripper wheels and get some more space inside the robot. However, the bending, as I say, is likely also down to the fact they are quite long for what they are and so there is more to bend as it isn't supported by anything.

I guess it comes down to how supported they are. Even as silver steel as they are, they might have been OK if they had been cut to length. Lessons learnt.

Glad to hear you might get to Grantham it means I might get a win against at least one Robot -only kidding .
    Hahahaha, it would be good to fight Mean Machine. RL Grantham is my anniversary event, second full year back into this so we'll have to see if we can get a whiteboard organised to make this happen.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    I've tested the rebuilt axe mechanism and it's... fine... for now. It really will be better on the two stage gearbox as at the moment, it is a little "undertorqued" but then again, the high gearing would have suggested that. No idea what amperage the Ampflow is pulling to move it. It does move as well so in theory, with a improvised bump stop, it'll go and happily fight in the arena again.

Azriel
    The HDPE arrived for making the chassis with! I'll be marking and cutting this out after EXR Guildford with a view of getting it to EXR Bolton so someone from my family can have a go at roboteering for once. Wherever it actually goes to a competition (read: The FW championship) is up in the air at the moment given most of my energy is in the Middleweight class and running BotFest at the moment.

McMullet
    The pink scythe looks suitably intimidating. Keep up the good work!

Team Kaizen

Hahhaa, will do. I've been wavering about going to EXR Guildford, RL Grantham and EXR Bolton but I think I'll be able to. If Jibil's refit with the new gearbox doesn't take too long (I should have it ready by RL Grantham), I'll see about getting Azriel ready for EXR Bolton. Who knows, I might even get to RoboDojo with the pair.

After EXR Bolton, I need to get the BotFest arena rebuilt for September and a new Antweight built to replace Ikari. TBH, I have all the parts here for that, just needs a new body. The arena is going to be a bit more involved than the last one but shouldn't actually take that long to build. After that, its the MW championships at EXR Cheltenham.

Scarrosaki
    Sounds good, hopefully Jibril will soon be fighting fit and gremlin-free.

if you need any help with publicising the next BotFest event on the various social medias etc let me know btw, would be happy to help out in whatever way I can

Team Kaizen

if you need any help with publicising the next BotFest event on the various social medias etc let me know btw, would be happy to help out in whatever way I can
    Oooh, I'll hold you to that one :P I know Luke (Bad Wolf on here) does do advertising for BotFest as well.

Sounds good, hopefully Jibril will soon be fighting fit and gremlin-free.
    Hopefully. It'll run this Saturday come what may but for RL Grantham, it really does need some improving.

Team Kaizen

Yes, the new floor is going to be a one piece affair. Looking at 900mm squared 6mm polycarbonate at the moment, still not finalised the design just yet.

EXR Guilford 2019
    So Jibril went to EXR Guildford. I had very little to do before the event started so I ended up drifting around the pits, chatting to new MW competitors in Jackpot mostly. Otherwise, with my batteries charged and Scythe ready, I was pretty ready as I'll ever be.

Prior to the first fight however, Jibril embarrassed itself by running into the side of the door frame into the arena and I distinctly remembering the announcers calling this out. This was quite embarrassing and threw me off. The fight itself was pretty dire from my perspective as well. Once again, the robot struggled for grip and then the U bolts for the motors caught on the floor, which meant Backflip could get in underneath and, for a first in my robotics career, threw me out of the arena.

The damage wasn't terrible but the axe shaft bent again. By this time, having been up since 4am, I was tired and hungry so getting it sorted was an absolute faff. The weight of the axe made this even more difficult but eventually, a new shaft went in the robot reassembled... only to find the ESC had once again failed. I am going to build a custom controller for this.

Anyway, with the axe reassembled, the robot went into the second MW melee of the day. This was even more brief than the first melee for me but for a brief moment, the robot found grip and charged at what looks like full power into the wall before being flipped up and eventually pitted.

I am going to be building the two stage box when they arrive but I also need to see if the ESC is salvageable. I also need to cut off the threads on the U bolts and add neoprene to the wheels to see if that can help. Also, the front fixed castors has buckled so they'll want replacing with perhaps some Oilon feet for slipperiness. I do have to say, Jibril is the most frustrating robot I've worked on. It has all the potential to be an excellent robot but it is just been one headache after another.

If I can find the time, I'll see about putting Azriel together as well for RL Grantham as well.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 9th June 2019 at 19:40.

McMullet
    Getting up at 4AM... I admire your dedication to the cause! I think I could manage staying up until 4AM.

Sounds like a bit of a frustrating day. Any idea why the ESC keeps konking out? Is it getting bashed during the fights or is the motor drawing too much juice? I guess the increased ratio might help if it's the latter, since the motor will get to spin up faster?

Register To Comment