Register To Comment
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

I assume the castor wheel has a boss on both sides of the middle bit. If you could remove one side of that boss, you could then mount the main gear the other way round, which would give you the space to have a bearing supporting the wheel on its axis.

Team Kaizen

Worth trying, I agree. The other issue then is that I don't know if the pinion gear will reach the main gear at all. I guess if it is thin enough, it won't be a problem.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Hi Lucy
    If I might make a suggestion...the biggest obstacle is going to be the head of the bolt, it

looks like you would need at least 5 mm of clearance coming in from that side and you

are already at a squewiff angle by the looks of things.

If you come in from the other side with your shaft you could be Ok if you just slice a 10 mm

piece of that front mounting to accommodate the nut.

Ideally of course, that shaft would go from one side of the HDPE right through to the

other for strength but unless you cut a groove in the motor mountings or change the

main pinion you cant do it.
    Last edited by team death; 4th February 2020 at 15:29.

Team Kaizen

Oh gosh! I was only using the bolt to hold the wheel up, it isn't a permanent fixture! I am going to get some shaft supports and some hardened steel shafts to overcome to the bent drive shaft issue from the last version of Jibril though, to be fair, when I took the old shafts out, they weren't too bad.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    The HDPE base panel has been drilled. Doing 32 holes three times over in 3, 8 and 10mm bits is nuts but there you are. Currently mocking up the motor mount bolt pattern on a 1mm sheet of polycarbonate and waiting on all the drivetrain components for the drive and Scythe to lay it all out before drilling the panel again for the shaft mounts and eventually the wheel gaps.

For completeness, removing the boss on the wheel to allow the gear to move further in seems to make the front mount fit. I've not done it yet as I want all the parts here to get it all measured out and dry fitted properly.

The Scythe is going to have considerably more torque than the old one. The old setup was a F30-150 going through a 15.75:1 gearbox. The new one is a A28-150 going through a 23.93:1 gearbox. I am fairly confident that will allow the robot to self-right this time. The new Scythe is also going to be CAD design affair which finally permits the use of a counterweight. The old design couldn't support one. How heavy the thing is going to be I am not entirely sure but it might end up being lighter at the tip because I hollowed out a lot of it so it isn't a heavy lump at the end.

Realistically, if I can get at it over the week, I could have it moving about by this Sunday. It depends on when the mounts arrive and how long it takes for me to cut the shafts down to size.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 10th February 2020 at 02:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Jibril
    The HDPE base panel has been drilled. Doing 32 holes three times over in 3, 8 and 10mm bits is nuts but there you are.
    Need to get yourself a step drill: https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or if the material was thicker than 5-8mm, a spade bit: https://www.toolstation.com/flat-woo...SABEgJbDfD_BwE

Will save yourself a lot of time and changing of drill bits

Team Kaizen

Hahahaa, true enough! I've got a 10mm spade bit somewhere, will bear that in mind for future use.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    So yeah, this weekend didn't go to plan. Managed to get the drive templates made but in cutting the drive shafts, need to go outside to that really and it has been too wet to do so. Still, I have about 90% of the components readily accessible...

20200216_023657.jpg

...so at least they are all to hand. I really, really hope to have this mobile by the end of the week, its all staring at me. :P The drive shafts are 60 to 65mm long and are using hardened steel as opposed to shaft steel from the last version with the option to go grade 5 titanium if needed but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal given the last set weren't actually too badly bent.

If I can get the robot mobile by March, I'd be quite happy. It'll definitely need some fixed nylon type castor wheels on the front but I am quite sure they'll be easy enough to mount. That means going into March and forwards is purely focusing on the Scythe and getting the thing tested properly before entering the arena in Portsmouth.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 17th February 2020 at 01:35.

Team Kaizen

Following on from the last post, I've been busy.

1581980622362.JPEG

Tada! I'll be running out tomorrow to get some M10x100mm bolts or something to screw the motor mounts down with along with some coarse sandpaper and some small nylon castor wheels if I can get some. Sadly, with the face mount on, there isn't anywhere to put the shaft support on the motor side so this will have to do.It wasn't a problem with the U bolts in the last version so this will probably be OK though I'll see about incorporating the face mounts at a later date.

Obviously, next stage is to get the drive shafts cut and then reassemble the body to fit the new Ragebridge and battery box. The fact I've gotten it this far though is a real boost.

McMullet
    Great stuff! It all suddenly looks much more real when you have the drive mounted on the baseplate. If I was that hoover I'd be feeling nervous.

Register To Comment