Register To Comment
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

I think the ESC just isn't suitable for MWs full stop. It is a neat controller but it is too fragile in terms of the components out of the box but the high gearing will definitely not be helping. Adding in the new gearbox will help but it depends on wherever it is working. Luckily, I still have the second ESC with only the coil missing. I can easily add a new one in to last until the relay controller is built. Might make a video for that.

Yeah, I guess I am a bit dedicated :P. Luckily, the next two events are in Grantham (22nd-23rd June) and Bolton (6th-7th July) so I can feasibly drive back and forth to these events for both days, likely 7am ish starts. My wife will also be coming with me to Grantham, hopefully to pilot Azriel.

I use the same ESC in my Heavyweight so I would disagree that it's not suitable for a middleweight.

Your probably not even 60 kg compared to my 110 so it must be something else.

I would look at the ratio first, if it's on the drive or weapon side.

Also driving robots is a bit like driving a car, if you put your boot to the floor and

try pushing others around excessively-somethings going to break.

I use these ESC's because they are affordable and the next step up are scary prices

especially if your just in it for fun rather than a must win frame of mind.

Team Kaizen

I use the same ESC in my Heavyweight so I would disagree that it's not suitable for a middleweight.
    I think you are referring to the 60A dual channel ESC? I am talking about the 40A single channel ESC, which is the next one down from the 60A. The 60A dual channel is a far more reliable controller in my experience but, as you infer, it is how it is used that determines how reliable something is. I knew that the 40A controller was probably not up to the job of handling the F30-150 in Jibril for the Scythe, it was a risk putting it in but at the time, I simply didn't have the money to get a Vyper, which is the "more ideal" controller for this and I was also using the lower duty CIM motor axe mechanism that I'll recycle into Azriel. Of course, now that a custom controller is on the cards, I may not need that much money.

You are correct, Jibril is nowhere near the maximum limit for MWs, it probably clocks in at 34kg with the Scythe (I really do need to get it weighed properly). I also agree that driving it at 100% all the time, ramming into stuff, is going to break something. I am not necessarily in a "must win" frame of mind all of the time but so far, Jibril is just not performing as well as it should be able to. I want to do well in the MW championships in November. I think the drive ESC will be reliable enough to do so but the axe controller needs work.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 10th June 2019 at 17:06.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

In that case you are probably correct, I had two of those blow on my featherweight drive

they seemed fine when not under load but they are poor performers compared to the 60 ESC.

You might be better off with a couple of solid state 100 amp relays, I assume you are not

bothered about controlling the scythe speed-quicker the better?.

Team Kaizen

I was talking with Gareth (of Trolley Rage) about this and he suggested something very similar. In terms of an controller for axes, I guess you would want it to be a on-off affair to get maximum oomph on the swing rather than have any finesse in the controls of it. I've been putting a wiring diagram together for a controller using relays but I found how to wire up reversing solenoids last night so I may need to revise it.

Team Kaizen

So the parts for the two stage reduction have arrived and I'll be cutting up the HDPE for both the gearbox and Azriel tonight. It did however strike me that I had forgotten the bearings! Bleh, they are on order now but with out them, I can't finish the gearbox off beyond marking out where the shafts go on each side.

I guess I can occupy the time waiting for delivery with building Azriel and fixing the ESC yet again. I've also got Ikari to rebuild with a 70W brushless motor for a spinner drive this time. Oh, and the BotFest arena rebuild. Busy busy
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 13th June 2019 at 15:15.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    So the gearbox sides have been cut and the gears are on the shaft for Jibril but I've yet to make any head way in actually building it. Given the now tight timelines to RL Grantham, I may not have this ready by then, which would be a massive pain. I'll get the ESC fixed during this week anyway but it is touch and go as wherever the two stage box will be ready by Grantham or Bolton.

Azriel
    I've finally got underway with Azriel! I've decided to scale down Jibril's design to FW for this one which whilst I am not a fan of doing this, it allows me to try out a few things on a smaller scale first before committing to the change on the bigger robot. The body has already been made and all the electronics I have, it just needs putting into the body. I aim to have it ready for Grantham and then have it upgraded by RoboDojo if I am able to go.

JPEG_20190615_205920.jpg
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 16th June 2019 at 16:18.

Team Kaizen

Azriel
    After finding a few moments to concentrate on this one, I've got it rolling. It isn't The Honey Badger quick but it is quite controllable as a result. Thanks to having the wiring loom, motors and the wheels from Kaizen, it was a simple install. Nothing is bolted down yet though, I need to extend the loom for the axe which I'll work on tomorrow. Once that is done, a lid installed, LEDs added and a removable link hole, that is it, it'll go to RL Grantham with Jibril. I'll also put a wedge on the front rather than the blocky look it has now.

JPEG_20190617_192420.jpg

McMullet
    Nice going! What's the drivetrain made up of, the motors look like something a bit nicer than drills...

More importantly, is it also going to be pink?

Team Kaizen

They are Gimson 13.7:1 motors (https://gimsonrobotics.co.uk/categor...tary-gearmotor). Coupled with 775 motors, they are a solid, if slightly expensive, package. These ones are quite worn as they were being used in the Middleweight class but they work well enough. Even on 4S LiFe, they are powerful enough... for now :P

Azriel really is a bot from spares. The only "new" bits on it are the HDPE body parts, the rest was recycled from other bots, mostly Kazien but some Shu! and The Honey Badger too. Think it's cost me about £40 in "new" parts.

Nah, got a different, garish, colour in mind for this one. Might not have it painted by RL Grantham mind. If I can make to RoboDojo (bearing in mind I'll be at EXR Bolton as well, so potentially spinners galore), it'll definitely be painted by then.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 17th June 2019 at 21:06.

Register To Comment