Register To Comment
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Well it'd be nice to see HB running again after it's "detonation" at Manchester. :P

Team Kaizen

Hahahahaa, we'll see. Time constraints and all, must just end up re-building it at Burgess Hill. :P
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Another one of those very original update posts.

Jibril
    Following on from the successful test drive (if you want to call it that), the uprights have gone back in and the top panels refitted with power lights and a removable link slot. That means, technically, it is capable of entering the arena. I also fitted a front roller on the robot to help it move and that has helped dramatically but I really need to take it somewhere to run it up to full speed, my office floor just is not big enough.

The next thing to work on is the axe. I've got a motor mount cut out for the 2.3HP motor and will be getting that screwed down tonight and have already marked out a centre line for the axe to be aligned with. The 600mm shaft has also arrived so plenty of drilling action to do and some serious cutting on the front polycarbonate.

In no particular order:

• Axe shaft needs to be bolted to the axe gear
    • Axe head needs to be fabricated
    • Axe motor needs to be fitted
    • Axe locking pin needs fitting
    • Axe tether needs fitting.
    • Side armour needs to be cut and fitted
    • Batteries need to be held in place better (might need to consider bigger batteries overall here)

Lots to do before the 23rd of March. :P

McMullet
    Sounds like you've got the awkward bits sorted though. I guess it's just plodding down the final straight to get everything done now?

Team Kaizen

Kind of. Once the axe gear and motor is mounted in the robot with the ESC, I'll be happier with it. Still would really like to see it move more than a metre or so. :P

Team Kaizen

#updates

Ikari
    So after its encounter at Ant Freeze 6, the robot was in pieces. The tyre came off the wheel, one of the wires to the motor was ripped off and the side panel also came off. Ordered some new wheels and fixed the side panel. Went to the effort to try and reinforce it with Gorilla Glue on the inside, that stuff is good but horrible to work with, spilled out whilst drying over my servo wire.

The motor has been re-soldered but the other motor appears to be having difficulties spinning. Not checked it over properly yet but I suspect the ESC wiring is a bit borked. Will examine over the week. It is spinning with a bit of encouragement but very slowly.

Jibril
    Lots happening here. Got the axe motor mounted and the axe drive gear mounted as well. It is at a bit of an angle but nothing you would notice and something that can be rectified at a later date. The next thing is, apart from a full test drive and a weigh in, is to get the axe shaft mounted on the gear, bump stops and a temporary axe head fitted with the ESC fitted as well. I also want to fit the 20mm HDPE side armour as well before Burgess Hill and have it painted.

I'll have to reduce my attendance to Burgess Hill to Saturday only as well, a fun 5 hour drive one way. :P Oh well, the things we do...

Team Kaizen

Amai/Ikari/Osu
    BotFest 2 is this weekend so I've been getting them prepped for the event. Amai has had shell reinforcement in the shape of Gorilla glue around the edges done and Osu just need a bit of melting to get it back to shape. This will be Osu's last event in this form, the robot is simply too iconic to risk in a combat arena these days. Osu 3.0 will be planned during the event.

Ikari has new, slightly larger wheels and, as noted in the last post, the shell rebuilt and reinforced. I checked the wiring and the slow wheel does appear to be a ESC issue. Sadly, I can't get a new ESC in time so it'll just have to go as is.

Jibril
    So this robot hasn't gone at all to plan. Real life keeps on cropping up to conspire and rob me of any time I need to work on the robot. Put simply, the big axe will not be ready for Burgess Hill and it still hasn't been tested. However, the axe mechanism from Kaizen is modular, the original intention was that it'd be interchangeable. That means the whole thing, locking pin guides and all, are quite compact and fits onto a 300mm square polycarbonate sheet.

What I'll do is transfer the mechanism to a temporary 10mm thick sheet and have that on Jibril for Burgess Hill. Next event afterwards is EXR Portsmouth which I fully intend to get the big axe mechanism working and finished. For RL Burgess Hill, I will remake the axe arm though - the one on there now is originally from The Honey Badger 2.2 and is looking extremely worn.

So the list now for this one is:

- Transfer the mechanism over
    - Fit the temporary top panel
    - Wire in the axe motor to the ESC
    - Remake and fit the axe arm
    - Paint

Team Kaizen

More of those wonderful updates.

Jibril
    So from the last post, the new material came for the axe and I've cut that into a axe arm and head. Transferred the mechanism over and now, after a spell of ESC DIP switch mania, the axe is now working. I say working, it is kind of working. At lower voltages, the axe works fine but at full 8S LiFe, it gets the jitters. However, when it does work, it is substantially faster than the last implementation.

For this robot, which is going to be the signature robot for this team now, it is fitted with a Scythe head, should look very distinctive in the arena this year. This axe arm is a temporary one but when the full implementation goes in, it'll have a slightly larger head on it. For this one, I'll need to fit a metal end tip to it to cause any damage in the arena.

So basically, barring a locking pin, tether and battery box, Jibril 0.8 is ready to go though I really do need it painting before Burgess Hill.

McMullet
    Hooray! Congrats on getting the axe installed.

What colour(s) are you going to paint Jibril?

Team Kaizen

The same colour as Kaizen, flourscent pink Axe shaft will probably be silver.

Register To Comment