Register To Comment
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    I finally found the motivation to work on this one again. The chassis has been fiddled with to get the new axe motor ready for installation and as part of that, I've been soldering up a Vex BB controller for it and adding in a coupler from the drive wiring to the weapon. Much to my initial confusion, the Vex doesn't supply its own 5v power to the receiver but some extensions to the drive receiver and a cut middle wire and it works OK now, just need calibration to dial it in.

Otherwise, with all the major soldering work done and chassis work pretty much complete barring some extra underside reinforcement, the next stage is to get the weapons gearbox box built. This, in theory, is a simple affair but as my previous attempts at building axe gearboxes have shown, it'll either work fine or be a slippy slippy mess. At least it drives fine... I think? :P Definitely needs tidying up in there but when the internal space of each side is smaller than a A4 sheet of paper, I think I am doing OK for something in development.

20200930_010658.jpg20200930_010652.jpg

(Yes, those wires running across the centre will be covered).
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

McMullet
    Great job on motivating yourself Lucy! That looks great, very satisfyingly packed into place.

Team Kaizen

Heh, thanks Sam. I need to grab a 12mm drill bit for the next stage which I'll try and get during the week. The main body needs some study reinforcement for the gearbox to slot into. I've hoped to try and give the robot a proper test drive this weekend but the weather put paid to that and the rest of this week doesn't look very nice either.

In all fairness, the gearbox really shouldn't take too long to do. There'll need to be metal plates to reinforce certain areas but honestly, it shouldn't be hard. "Shouldn't" she says...

Looking good Lucy! A bit of aluminium U channel will cover those wires nicely.

Team Kaizen

Good idea, thanks Nat! I'll see if I can grab some when I get the drill bit. In the meantime, with an egregious amount of parts laying around, I've decided what I needed was another big project to use them with and with that, the revival of a name.

Kaizen
    The 1.0 version of Kaizen was built in a bit of a rush for the first Middleweight Championships outside of Robot Wars for the 2018 Chatham event and realistically speaking, it barely qualified as being a Middleweight as it weighed 31.2kg. It was a 4WD machine, the only one I've ever built, powered by four Gimson 13.7:1 motors and was the first robot to feature a custom built gearbox of mine, a single stage 3:1 axe. Had it been built without the 4mm thick box steel and about half the fasteners removed, it'd probably qualify as a FW weight wise.

Yet despite all these flaws... and the fact the axe broke during the championship... it and was forever burning out motors (because when you are pumping 26.4v through 18v 775 motors, what did you expect?), it came 6th out of 8 in that championship that year. It didn't do very well at Cheltenham after that with it only competing in two matches where in both occasions, it refused to move smoothly and then was retired for Jibril.

Those of you who had been following my build diary will recall that originally, Kaizen was meant to have been a Heavyweight. I still have the original panels for that around (actually not too dissimilar to the current 2.0 version of Jibril in construction terms) but now knowing better, they were hilariously thin.

I do have big LiPo capacity batteries, a ESC, enough wiring, plugs and LEDs to do this with and soon a pair of motors so that is a start. I am still tossing it up in the air as to wherever to make Kaizen a MW again or a HW this time around though I want to try and keep the design fairly similar to the last version. I would like to be able to enter the Heavyweight championships but I have to realistically be able to shift this around on my own though this being the wonderful community that it is, that is rarely the case!

More details to follow...

Team Kaizen

Kaizen
    So my thoughts are the following:

• 4WD with a single gear reduction and 1/2" chain to get to 12:1 on 100mm wheels.
    • A mix of Hardox, HDPE and Polycarbonate for the armour, like Jibril 2.0. I might use tapped square bar to attach the Hardox with the armour, would anyone know where I could get some?
    • Similar sort of dimensions to the original version with it being taller for the weapon, a linear acutator powered arm with a removable saw or something for Robots Live! events.

Since Jibril is so close to completion, I won't be working on this until the new year though I might mess with CAD designs in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    [B].... I might use tapped square bar to attach the Hardox with the armour, would anyone know where I could get some?...
    Hi Lucy, I can machine tapped square bar if you need it.

Team Kaizen

Oooooh excellent! I'll contact you when I am ready to get this started.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    The Scythe gearbox is now partially assembled. The Victor BB I've been having a bit of trouble with getting calibrated but seem to have it nailed down now. The first stage is pretty much mocked up (I am planning to swap out the silver steel shafts for Grade 5 Titanium shafts since they did so well in holding up in the last version of Jibril at EXR Cheltenham 2019) but it needs a idler gear on the first stage to clear the main bulkheads of the robot.

20201029_182656-2.jpg

The original plan was to use a 120T and a 19T in two separate stages to get 39.88:1 reduction. However, despite my best efforts to CAD this up, the final stage 120T shaft doesn't quite clear the first stage 120T gear. This is despite this CAD drawing which suggests it should have cleared, albeit just...

Screenshot_2020-10-30_00-54-12.png

I dunno, I need more practice in this. In any case, I've picked up a 20T and a 22T to see if they'll clear it. I'll reuse the 19T gear in another project. The reduction in the ratio is 37.89:1 with the 20T so it isn't a great reduction in of itself, it just bugs me that I can't figure out why it seems to be out. Either way, the overlap is marginal so the 20T should work.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    I picked up a 316 Stainless Steel 20mm shaft to mount the final output gear on as the Titanium shaft needs some machining to make fit the gear (it looks to be 0.5mm too thick) and finally have been able to drill the mount for the shaft. In a surprise, it turns out I hadn't drawn the CAD wrong, just what it looks like on screen threw me. The CAD drawing was tight, this is what it looks like with me holding the gear up before drilling the panel...

clearence.jpg

...and here is what it looks like roughly mounted, a 39.88:1 gear arrangement.

gears_roughly_mounted_900.JPEG

A test spin shows it all works so the next stage here is to get all the bearings mounted, get the other side of the carrier made and work out how to fix the gears on the shaft. The smaller gears have grub screws in them but the big gears are plain bores. Given that I am still planning to use Grade 5 Titanium with these steel gears, I imagine getting a key cut in the shafts and the gears itself would be the way forwards here?

Register To Comment