Register To Comment
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

I've think figured this out. It is remarkably genius (for me) if it does.

The problem I've been having is that I want it all on one stick like how I have it now but I am no electronics engineer. However, thinking about it, any single channel ESC that can drive the low end of the relay should work and you can get ESCs that go up to 30 or so volts with relative ease, it is only the amperage that is the issue. So then it is time to think logically. If moving the stick one way makes the ESC spin a motor forwards, polarity must be reversed when doing the opposite.

For a bog standard normally open relay, I get the impression which way around the polarity is doesn't matter. So, connecting two low ends of a relay to a ESC means they'll both turn on regardless of which way around the polarity is. So assuming that, adding in some diodes on the low end of the relays (where a set of 4 is specific to a specific polarity, one for each port of the low end of the relay and the other set is the reverse) and it *should* work. Even adding in a variable resistor on the backwards motion is a potential option for a soft return.

I've not tried this yet but wanted to make sure I wasn't being idiotic before committing to this. Does the above sound logical?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I remember buying a couple of solid state relays a while back similar to this which I was going
    to run off servo switches but there is no reason they won't work off a ESC-are we singing from
    the same hymn page Lucy or am I miles away.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teledyne-...gAAOSwqwheM0yF

Team Kaizen

We are indeed on the same page Colin, I had that sort of relay in mind though a solenoid might be better for higher amperage peaks? I have a circuit diagram made up for this but I am going to see if I can simplify it down to two relays and four diodes rather than four and eight respectively before buying anything.

Need to get cracking through, the A28-400 motor arrived yesterday. Just waiting on some gearbox parts before assembly.

Sounds like the same dilemma I had at times, I found a floating polarity changer saved my bacon on

many occasions but at 200 amp peak you will need an alternative to that.

Looking forward to see what solution you come up with and will definitely be curious to look at the

set up when finished.

Team Kaizen

I've reworked the circuit diagram and I think I have it down to 2 relays and 4 diodes so I've ordered some supposedly 400A peak relays and some 50V diodes. I've already got a ESC capable of handling 30V anyway so for a prototype, that'll do. If it works, Azriel will get a controller as well when it goes to a rebuild.

Mr Manuva27
    Perhaps a bit late, but this was posted in the OOTA discord server by Mike Jeffries (former captain and driver of Bombshell on Battlebots) about upgrading his FW robot Nyx to a modular hammer/lifter/grappler.

He describes his process about getting as much power from the axe motor without causing too much shock to it. Even uses a lower powered variant of the same motor you have. Not sure how useful it will be to you, but interesting reading nonetheless.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Nyx...Robot-Re-Made/
    Last edited by Mr Manuva27; 9th July 2020 at 13:41.

Team Kaizen

Looks good, I still have a A28-150 motor laying around that I was planning to put into Azriel after Dojo if that goes ahead. I want more power in the axe with a better reduction really speaking. Just want to see how the current setup runs now.

Team Kaizen

Azriel
    So it is practically finished now barring a locking pin and sorting out the drive wheels but this is pretty much how I intend it to look at Dojo next weekend if it is still going ahead. Its a completely different beast to the 0.9 variant from last year but it does still need a metal axe on it. For the moment, the HDPE axe will have to suffice but here is Azriel 1.0 next to a familiar looking creation...

azriel_and_the_honey_badger.jpg

Dojo as in the one on the 19th? As far as I'm aware it's still going ahead but it's also pretty much spinners galore!

Team Kaizen

Yeah, the one on the 19th.I know it'll be spinners galore... I'll bring a binbag :P No, it'll be OK.

Register To Comment