Register To Comment
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

Team Kaizen

1. Yay, I made the intro!!
    Hahaha!

2. I'm pretty confident a Roses tub will be more resilient than my yoghurt pot. Did you keep one of your 4mm poly panels for your front panel? If so I imagine you'll be OK.
    No. The weight would have been too much. It is 1.5mm polycarbonate which isn't too bad, Ikari has that on the front and generally does OK with that.

3. The weapon looks pretty solid, looking forward to seeing it at Antfreeze!
    Thanks! I think the only thing it needs is a bit of bleeding edge HDPE or something to get underneath the opponents but otherwise, I am pretty happy with it myself.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

McMullet
    Looks great Lucy. A very mean little spinner!

Using chocolate tubs has lots of advantages, it's a trademark for your machines, it's a nice aesthetic and most importantly - in order to keep building robots you have to eat more chocolate...

Hey Lucy,
    Have you had a chance to check out those clamps yet? Do they fit your design?

Team Kaizen

Using chocolate tubs has lots of advantages, it's a trademark for your machines, it's a nice aesthetic and most importantly - in order to keep building robots you have to eat more chocolate...
    Given I currently feel rather under the weather, I could really use some chocolate now.

Have you had a chance to check out those clamps yet? Do they fit your design?
    I did. The face clamp works fine but I think I've screwed up on the 2 part design. They fit the can of the motor but on doing so don't quite meet each other in the middle, nor does the bottom sections reach the floor. I don't think this is a big deal and can be sorted, I wasn't quite expecting them to fit out of the box.

Either way though, thanks for making them! After Ant Freeze is done, I'll be working on Jibril so you'll see them go in.

The gap in the middle should be there to allow you to tighten around the motor, so that should be ok,
    The gap at the bottom, i guess was a height issue, perhaps if you let me know the height its missing i can make some spacers from some scrap for you to reach the base of those blocks.

Gotta go find the box of chocs now... fancy a strawberry choc

Hope your feeling better shortly,

+
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Given I currently feel rather under the weather, I could really use some chocolate now.

I did. The face clamp works fine but I think I've screwed up on the 2 part design. They fit the can of the motor but on doing so don't quite meet each other in the middle, nor does the bottom sections reach the floor. I don't think this is a big deal and can be sorted, I wasn't quite expecting them to fit out of the box.

Either way though, thanks for making them! After Ant Freeze is done, I'll be working on Jibril so you'll see them go in.

Team Kaizen

The gap in the middle should be there to allow you to tighten around the motor, so that should be ok,
    I guessed that might be the case given the bolt holes looked to line up when on the motor.

The gap at the bottom, i guess was a height issue, perhaps if you let me know the height its missing i can make some spacers from some scrap for you to reach the base of those blocks.
    I can work around with some M10 washers or something to build it back up if it is a problem. I don't think it will be though. Thanks for the offer mind.

Team Kaizen

Lafiel, Amai and Ikari - Ant Freeze 7
    Got to the event a little late and after struggling to find a pit space, eventually ending up over from James, all three were immediately thrown into tech check. Amazingly, all three passed first time, even Lafiel! After a brief test to make sure it was still spinning OK, it was time for the competition.

----

Lafiel vs Dominus
    This had the honour of being the first fight of the event and... yeah... this ended in a shattered robot. After a few glancing blows, Lafiel was promptly turned into confetti with a severe impact to the side. Amazingly, all the electrics still worked afterwards so out came the sellotape and taped the thing back together.

Lafiel vs Dozer
    The next opponent, mercifully, was a pushbot. Lafiel was working at full power but I've simply not had enough time getting to grips with the quirks of the robot and was in the pit.

Amai vs Catapult
    It is fair to say that Amai is not a particularly dangerous robot. It lacks any sort of weaponry beyond the wedge. Against Catapult, a vertical spinner, it was hit, flipped into the air and landed on its back.

Amai vs Watercolour
    It is fair to say that Amai is a really dumb machine. I say this nicely, it has stood up to some truly awful punishment in the past but it is a dated machine. Watercolour was well driven and eventually pushed Amai on its side which ended its run in the event.

Ikari vs Calm Down, its only a drill
    Now here is an honour. Shakey's neat robot against my best performer, who received a automatic bye into round 2. Ikari is a drill bots dream though as it has a relatively large, flat top to drill though, which it did. Many times. I lost this as I got caught on the edge of a pit and down I went.

Ikari vs Kaizo
    This was pretty quick with a good flip which put Ikari in the pits. It really was a blink and you missed it.

Ikari also fought in the gladiator but ended up on its back and was up against a wall so was eliminated very quickly.

----

Ultimately, a fairly poor showing here. I had hoped Lafiel would do well here but to no avail and now needs a new shell which given I've struggled to make one that makes the weight limit, is going to be interesting. Amai needs new electronics really to resolve some really weird lag in activating motors and Ikari needs a new top panel with something to prevent it being stranded on its back again.

As noted though, they are to be put on the side whilst I finally get busy working on Jibril, which I plan to do a video diary of. Keep your eyes peeled for that.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    Just got the robot on the bench and decided to roughly place the drive motor in the mounts to see where the wheel would roughly go.

20200203_124454.jpg

So here is the problem. With the face plate mount in (the one closest to the wheel), there is simply no room for a shaft support for the wheel. Now, I could get away with not having it in there, the last version of Jibril didn't use them either but that was metal on metal on Polycarbonate. With it held in HDPE, it might very well slip in there under load. I could fit some rubber in there to grip onto the motor can but I am hoping the physical clamping action would be enough. The problem with these types of motors is the lack of any keying on the motor as far as I can see, it is all smooth. I'll figure it out

Is there any screw holes on the face of the motor? what does the motor look like from the front?

Team Kaizen

There are a pair of what I believe are 10-32 screw holes in the motor. The original plan was to use a piece of polycarbonate to the front face and bolt the face place to the mount and the motor.

Register To Comment