Register To Comment
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

McMullet
    Yikes. I bet you needed a couple of <your preferred therapeutic beverages> after that.

Sorry to hear you had such a frustrating weekend. Sounds like you have a definitive picture of what needs fixing though, so look forward to seeing that all sorted!

Team Kaizen

Yikes. I bet you needed a couple of <your preferred therapeutic beverages> after that.
    Yup. Staggered into the house and had a long tea.

Argh, this is harsh just to read, let alone go through. Why is it always you?
    I've definitely had a tough year, especially with this MW robot. I think what it is comes down to a few factors. The biggest one is that I am trying to improve myself with new (to me) techniques of building these things. All the gear reductions in Jibril are custom built and MW take the same amount of punishment as a HW would do. If this was being done on a FW, such as Azriel, then it'd likely be OK (and indeed, after the new version of Jibril is built, the Scythe and gearbox for it is going in Azriel).

After Cheltenham, I'll be sitting down to think on what Team Kaizen is doing for next year. Simply put, running 8 robots (4x AWs, 2x BWs, 1x FW and 1x MW) over 12 events for this year, two of which I ran, all but one which I attended on my own isn't sustainable for me alone. I've likely clocked well over 1,500 miles this year just in going to events though I'll work this out properly later on in the year.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Oh disaster Lucy!
    560 miles for 1 minute! on the plus side you did get a few chances to get your Robot to run.
    I remember Robot Wars series-you did not get a second chance-if it didn't go you were Out,
    and I can tell you that happend more times that you would think.
    Bring something to Robodojo it's only 100 miles.

Team Kaizen

The trouble with Robodojo is that it is on a Sunday and I am generally not available on Sundays otherwise I would come. I've also not got a functional featherweight at the moment as Azriel is in bits at the moment though I do plan to get it back together for potentially coming to the December round.

Team Kaizen

Oh I was wrong... so wrong with this one...

I've likely clocked well over 1,500 miles this year just in going to events though I'll work this out properly later on in the year.
    So far, this year, I've clocked 4,086 miles, not including the BotFest events which is reasonably close to me. Cheltenham is a weekend thing, so that is another 280 miles.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    For the current 1.6 version, I've ordered some 10mm thick Grade 5 titanium and some shaft collars. It is only meant to be a stopgap as this version is only fettled until the MW championship and EXR Cheltenham. The 2.0 version build had stalled somewhat in the midst of all the projects going on at home but once the MW championships are out of the way, then I can do the big transplant. I've also been practising my CAD skills with regards to the Scythe gearbox carrier. Hoping to get that cut out fairly soon.

Azriel
    So I tried the brushless conversion and it seems the power being delivered to the motors isn't enough. It needs more refinement but I am still convinced this has mileage. The inrunners might need to be swapped though for a outrunner for the extra torque but we'll see.The trouble is, I can't work on Azriel until after Jibril is done at EXR Cheltenham because I need the axe motor from that for this one. I've CADed up a new axe for Azriel which I plan to debut at either the FW show at Manchester or RoboDojo.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 2nd November 2019 at 16:44.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    I've fixed the drive issue with a M4 bolts so when a nut is applied on the end, no more drive issues in theory (new nuts were also fitted to the U Bolt to prevent it coming off again and losing the mesh). I've also freed up the Scythe from the twisted shaft and I am currently writing this as I am taking a break from it. Working on your own on a MW is hard work.

Having finally seen a video of the robot in action at Maidstone, I am pleased to report that the Scythe fired twice before the mild steel shaft twisted. This gives me hope the much stiffer Grade 5 Titanium rod and collets set up will be more reliable come the MW championship. Heck, I might even find time to paint the exposed metal again so it looks just that little bit more respectable. :P

The 2.0 version of Jibril has had it's CAD designs sent off to get priced up. I've decided to simplify the robot and gone with a 10.7:1 MOD 2 single stage reduction gearbox arrangement for the Scythe this time. The drive has also been redesigned to use a 5:1 arrangement with 80mm soft polyurethane wheels this time to hopefully provide better traction and driveabilty. Pretty much set on revealing this version at EXR Portsmouth next year.

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    The drive is sorted, the Scythe gearbox is pretty much back together and the Scythe has been smoothed a bit to lighten it. With any luck, I might even get to test the robot before the event on Friday weather permitting. I may also refit the forks which were last seen at EXR Bolton. I have some spare sheeting material to do something with it now which was the downfall of them at Bolton as they were getting caught in the floor.

The Honey Badger
    I had forgotten I had entered the BW competition at Extreme STEM :S The wheels are reattached and the tyres glued on so they shouldn't come off again otherwise is good to go.

Amai, Ikari & Ramu
    The ants are all charged up and ready to go. There was comparatively little damage to them from BotFest so only needed batteries charging and they are ready to roll. I may have to rope someone in to drive them though, doing three weight classes at a single event is going to be... interesting. :P

Team Kaizen

Jibril
    Despite the rain, I did manage to get a test drive done at a friends house. The drive is OK but once again, the Scythe failed. It fired but didn't complete a full rotation.

I couldn't quite figure out where the issue was but myself and a friend spent a few hours securing and tightening down the mounting blocks and realigning the gear. The Scythe has also been moved back a little which should allow the shaft to clear the gearbox properly and I've refitted the front forks. I made up a wedge plate for the forks to be attached to so it should help deflecting spinners and such. With any luck, it might not embarrass itself at the Championships. :P

Register To Comment