Register To Comment
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen Build Diary

McMullet
    Nice work. Did you keep the original eyebrows for The Honey Badger? I have to say they're my favourite bit... :P

Team Kaizen

Hahaha, thanks. The originals were some black electrical tape but they would be too wide for this one, so I took a length and cut it length ways to make it thinner.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

"which was last seen at Manchester being blown apart"

Who would do such a thing? Sounds like a right arsehole

Team Kaizen

Hahahaha! Its the risk we all run when going in the arena. It happens :P

Team Kaizen

A few days before the BW championship, for better or worse, here is The Honey Badger 4.0 and Shu! 2.0

20191002_172216.jpg

I've installed a basic battery cage in both so that they don't fly about and secured down the links. Shu! is the main entrant and, obviously, hasn't fought before but bar a new set of drive motors and wheels, all the electrics are the same from the 1.0 version in a much tougher body. The Honey Badger is the reserve but I hope to have it in a whiteboard or something during the event. Who knows, it might just work this time :P I am hoping to stage a test battle between the two this evening.

Team Kaizen

BW European Championships
    Another early start at 4am, getting on the road for 5am. The journey down wasn't too bad, not was the journey back up mercifully but I really do need to get a proper night's sleep before the event. ~5 hours is not enough.

Got to the venue and got setup there before finding out that The Honey Badger was the main, not the reserve. I recall why this was now, I didn't think Shu! would be ready in time. After a bit of discussion with Shane, both were in the competition but this is where a problem arises. It is a rule that it is 1 robot per driver. So although I could enter both, I needed a second person to drive one of them, Shu! in this instance so I asked Dave Baxter (of Mini Kev Awe fame) to drive, so many thanks to him for doing so.

Now, you imagine that both would be fully working and such. Hahahahaa, no. Shu! broke its 2x5A speed controller so it could go forwards and backwards but turning wasn't happening. Although it passed the tech check, I also got told it couldn't use its weapon as the arm hit the batteries so I left the locking pin in for the fights it was in. That, indeed, was my fault, I cut the back plate slot too far back. The Honey Badger was OK.

The Honey Badger vs Bunny vs Concrete Donkey
    This fight lasted a mere few moments for me. One good hit from either of the spinners and the link came flying out.

Shu! vs Rev 4 vs Gear down for what?
    This fight went exactly the same way. Straight hit to the back of the robot and wheeeee, link came out. Did better than we thought it might though.

So both robots were in the losers melee. The top two go through to the next round, bear this in mind. Sadly, I can't remember who which robot was fighting but in both fights, The Honey Badger and Shu! came third in the losers melee (so close!). In both cases, the tyre came off the wheel and in the case of the Badger, the whole robot stopped responding. Bleh.

The Honey Badger also fought in the Gladiator rumble. Sadly, this didn't go very well either as Bourbon 2 clipped it, cracking the polycarb and the wheels came off the robot. Link stayed in though :P

All in all, this was a disappointing day but damn, some of the fights were spectacular. I think this might be time to call time on Shu! and build something else. I've been toying with the idea of being a vertical disc or drum spinner, I have a 5045 motor for the job. As for The Honey Badger, I think I might fit it with a front hinged flipping arm and HDPE sides, not polycarb but for now, I need to concentrate on Jibril 2.0 for EXR Maidstone.

Team Kaizen

Hahaha, looking forwards to seeing it. I can't work on mine until after the MW championship.

Jibril
    So the new body needs more work than I've got time for at the moment. I'll have it ready by the championship but for EXR Maidstone, I'll adjust the axe blocks so the gears definitely mesh and just work over the existing version to get it running. I really want to see the Scythe work.

Azriel
    I've got it sort of half running. For EXR Maidstone, I hope to test out the brushless capabilities of the drive but I'll need to retain the current axe. I've drawn up a new axe for Cheltenham/Next Year which I'll get plasma cut and when the F30-150 motor comes out of Jibril to be replaced by the A28-150, the F30 goes in Azriel with a single stage ~6:1 gearbox.

Team Kaizen

Some updates

Azriel
    I am going to put Azriel on hold until after the MW championships. I don't think I'll have time to work on it before Cheltenham. That being said, I am thinking of completely rebuilding this one into something a lot more scarier (still being an axe bot). Stay tuned on that front.

Jibril
    Lots of work done here. I tore down the axe gearbox and finally secured the first stage output gear properly so it won't slip any more. I've also repositioned the axe motor so it meshes more cleanly with the gearbox so now it is just a case of remounting the final output gear with some new blocks. I've placed the final gear directly on top of the pinion gear rather than forwards of it, again guaranteeing it'll mesh and then have made some new blocks to mount the shaft on.

Everything is here now, just needs assembly and a quick test fire to make sure it'll work. Hopefully will have an update tomorrow.

Team Kaizen

EXR Maidstone 2019
    Maidstone happened. It was a 3am get up and didn't get home until midnight with 3 hours sleep behind me (though I had 14 hours the night before). I think this wins the award at 280 miles distance one way for "longest trip" this year. Ironically, Burgess Hill and Colchester are, for me, more difficult to get to. Anyway, got to the venue at 9.30am and got setup next to MassBot which I helped get ready but they didn't run on the Saturday.

After putting the batteries in and tech check, I was ready to go... or so I thought. The first fight, Jibril was loaded into the pen, powered up OK, got to the arena door fine and then... it broke down at the door. The drive on one side failed completely. This is the second or third time that this has happened and I was furious. In one way or another, this robot has broken down in every single fight it has ever been in and not even making it through the door on several occasions.

So yeah, upset.

After a quick diagnostic, the problem was the grub screw again. I've just not had the time to get the drive sorted and this is what happened. A new grub screw went in and it was loaded into the pen for the second fight. Again, the drive failed. This time, it was the U bolts holding the motor in had come loose. I quickly pulled the robot back and tightened up the bolts. It went in the arena but as it passed over the threshold, guess what? The drive on that side failed again.

So I ended up in the arena running on one wheel for the fight against Backflip, Audacious, Raphael, Gaston and Bump and Grind. To be honest, it ran OK, even the Scythe fired once or twice but it was a very, very ill robot. Ended up upside down and with the Scythe jammed, game over. 560 miles for 1 three minute fight.

There is worse news. The new version of Jibril will not be ready for the MW championship. I mean, I could rush to get it ready but I think that has been the problem all year, rushing. I am therefore going to hold off on that until 2020 and enter the 1.6 version of Jibril with the drive sorted and a new, thicker shaft (Nat, I might purchase another 20mm titanium shaft for this). I've got a Scythe CADed up for Azriel, it'd need only a few changes to run in Jibril.

So yeah, Maidstone was a nightmare. Time to focus on improving the durability for Cheltenham. To that end:

• Drill the motor shafts and put M5 bolts through them to replace the grub screws.
    • Retighten EVERYTHING.
    • Rebuild the axe gearbox to include a larger end stage gear, 20mm big.
    • New Scythe from 10mm ARMOX with a counterweight.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 20th October 2019 at 17:02.

Register To Comment