Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BotFest 2 (23rd March 2019)

Team Kaizen

Hey Everyone!

After a bit of a wait (apologies :P), I am pleased to announce BotFest will be making a return for 2019!

Following on from the pilot, we are sticking with the Church so this event will be running on the 23rd of March at the following location from 11:00 - 17:00.

St. Lukes Church
    Poulton
    Wallasey
    CH44 3BD

The church is easily accessible via the M53, by train there is a walk of about 10-15 minutes and there are also local bus routes as well. Refreshments are available from the attached cafe to the church or from the local vicinity (easily within a 10 minute walk).

Like last time, we'll be running a set of 4 heats, quarter finals, semi finals and a grand final. We'll also be having a all robot rumble at the end and if folks want to organise a whiteboard whilst there, there will be one available plus a couple of games if we get time.

This is an Antweight event but if you wish to do a static display your heavier class robots, please feel free to bring them with cradles. As before, we are running a slightly modified variant of the AWS ruleset (http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm), those being:

2.a: Weight limits have a 2% variance, so the maximum permitted weight for a Antweight roller is 153g and for a Antweight walker is 229.5g. Robots that exceed the AWS weight limit but are within the variance will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.

2.b: Size limits have a 5% variance, so the maximum size for a particular dimension for a Antweight is 106.68mm. Robots that exceed the AWS size limit but are within variance will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.

5.g A team is permitted to enter up to 3 robots of either a roller or walker.

Signup is available on Antlog: http://antlog.garya.org.uk/event/17

Hope to see you there!
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

A small update, turns out the cafe downstairs will be closed on the day of the event. We'll have a kettle with some basic tea and coffee on standby.

Team Kaizen

A few things for this event:

- Parking: There is some parking available on the roads around the church. There is a small car park as well but be aware, it is quite rough. As you come up from the docks, at the crossroads (where the church is in the NW position), turn left, follow the wall around and then you'll see a entry point (just after a shipping container I seem to recall). Be aware, it is quite a sharp turn in.

- Soldering: For those who weren't there last time, we had issues with the alarms going off in the church and I think part of that was because we had soldering happen right underneath a fire alarm. If you are going to solder, I might recommend doing it in the central area of the church where the vaulted ceiling is less likely to set it off but if it does go off again, we may have to say soldering can only be done outside (which I know, is a royal pain).

- Length of fights: We have double the competitors from the pilot, so to get through the heat fights with time to spare for whiteboards/side events, they will be a maximum of 2 minutes. All other fights and side events (unless stipulated), is 3 minutes. By my reckoning, if everyone passes tech check, with the league system used here, you'll likely end up fighting 6 or 7 times. Like last time, the all robot rumble at the end is a time unlimited fight.

Bad Wolf
    Looking forward to it

Bad Wolf

Are you a bit lighter this time Bad Wolf?

As for soldering (again, Sorry!) If anyone needs to go outside, I'll have a gas iron with me that they can use.

Team Kaizen

As for soldering (again, Sorry!) If anyone needs to go outside, I'll have a gas iron with me that they can use.
    No worries, we all live and learn!

Bad Wolf
    Hahaha you know my style, make it the size of a heavy weight and then work my way backwards chopping everything off haha!

Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf
    Thanks a lot Ovracoke for organising this event! Loved it! Great turn out and a good atmosphere! Can’t wait for the next one!

Bad Wolf

Excellent event, great turnout and some really good fights!

Fermented Melon v Bodacious thingy was a standout for me.

Theo's valiant effort deserves a mention too!

And we can't forget the fiery axe of doom!

Register To Comment