Register To Comment

Thread: single direction brushless ESCs into bidirectional ESC's

incredibleRAEFU
    Hello Everyone!
    I have decided to make a brushless driven beetleweight, for the first time. Having only used brushed motors in robots before, i decided to take it a step up, not knowing very much about them. I've heard that most brushless ESCs aren't bidirectional - being designed for aerial use, and that you have to change the firmware to SimonK (I think). Would anybody be able to enlighten me on how to make my ESCs bidirectional or refer me to a page or video that does?
    Any input is appreciated!

Team Kaizen

There already exists several files which can convert specific unidirectional brushless ESCs to bidirectional ones (such as that for the TZ85A, sadly discontinued). I've been playing with a file from the SimonK series for my Red Brick 100A V2 ESCs for a potential Featherweight to convert that to be bidirectional but it requires some fiddling in assembly source code, compiling it and then flashing it to the ESC to see if it works with no guarentee that it'll "work".

I am sure I found a page at one stage detailing how this works - if I get back onto my laptop in the near future, I'll see if I can find the page I am thinking of.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

incredibleRAEFU
    Thanks! if you could find that page it would be awesome. If I were going to re-flash it would I need a programming card for the esc?

incredibleRAEFU
    Update: I think I have a reliable video.

Team Kaizen

That video does demonstrate the overall procedure, yes. Here is the page I followed/adapted for the speed controllers I am messing around with now.

http://www.rchacker.com/diy/simonk-e...mware-flashing
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment