Register To Comment
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

Team Kaizen

Hahhaa, that it is. I once totaled up how much my second version of The Honey Badger cost me. Close to about £400 but then again, I was things like a pricey transmitter at the time and such.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

The thing is, as a one off, it is expensive, yes but you do end up reusing tools and components from one machine to the next as you go along. My Middleweight needs a new body but the parts from the current version can easily be transplanted so that will only cost me about £300 or 400 to get the parts and for me to machine them to make it work.

McMullet
    The max current from your battery is the capacity in Ah multiplied by the C rate (in this case you have a burst and continuous C rate, so use the lower of the two, i.e., the continuous rating). That's 4.0 Ah x 60 C = 240 A. The fuse must be less that that.

However, with two drill motors and a linac you'll never get close to 240 A. So to protect your motors and ESCs you are probably better off with something around the 100 A mark, or even less. We have an 80 A fuse for a similar setup to yours.

Team Kaizen

You work out the burst amperage of the battery and get a fuse below that amperage as per the rules:

7.8.3 Fusing
    A fuse rated below the maximum burst discharge of the battery MUST be fitted. The maximum burst discharge current is calculated by multiplying the C rating by the capacity. E.g. 25C 2200mAh = 55 Amp
    So in that particular batteries case, it is 4 amps * 120C = 480amps (240amps constant). That, to me, sounds crazy and you'll likely never draw that much. I'd figure on it being a quarter of that, so 120amps but from experience, a 60 or 80amp fuse will be sufficient. I've yet to blow a 80A fuse in either my Featherweights or my Middleweights.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 17th July 2019 at 09:54.

McMullet
    Looks like we're largely in agreement here Lucy!

Register To Comment