Register To Comment
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

Team Kaizen

You can use "generic" wire, I've use white speaker wire in the past but having red and black wire (or whichever colour you associate positive and negative with) does make things a hell of a lot easier to track. It also helps with getting polarity right where getting it incorrect, such as plugging into a ESC, could cause shorting and damage to electronics.

As for the rating for a wire, for a Featherweight, either 10-14AWG I find works well, I use 10AWG in Azriel but that is probably overkill for that robot at the moment.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I use 12AWG for my feather, its rated well for use on mine, plus its the rated wire on the TZ85A esc's.

Redirect Left
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamST180 View Post
    Where is best to buy some from? I used to go Maplin for anything like that but well.....lol
    You can buy cabling quite cheap off eBay, unfortunately places like Screwfix & B&Q mostly only carry home wiring solutions, which is needlessly heavy and expensive for this. Just type, for example "12AWG Wire" (replace 12 with what you need if needs be) into eBay, you'll find some suitable results for sure. I personally have bought this listing from this seller with good results: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-...2Uc9mr_KzOv5NQ
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 25th June 2019 at 18:41.

Just make sure to get silicone wire, the normal stuff tends to melt and short.

Roboteer

Try Technobots or Component Shop.
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010
    Team Champions ( Team Barbie) 2011

Agreed, Make sure its silicon and highly flexible. I bought some silicone wire from eBay and it turned out to be 16 stranded steel wire in a silicon coating. Wasn't too impressed. Should have stuck with a turnigy branded silicone wire, at least i would have got the right stuff.

That above eBay link is a good one as they list the strand count, being 680 for 12AWG. so thats the good stuff

Register To Comment