Register To Comment
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

Due to car buying and house renovations this has been on hold but due to the FeatherTwo ESC's popping back into stock I finally have all the parts I need to get started, this is my basic parts layout, motors will be at the top back corners, will draw these in later

base.jpg

Also got the drill motors out and in the mounts (big thanks to Roboteernat for these, made things so much easier)

MOTOR.jpg

Im planning to use both batteries as ive shown above, or do people recommend just using one? Looking for a wiring diagram to work from and they all seem to show one battery used.

Have a look at this as a starting point: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...html?wrh_pdp=1
    It's a 14.8v which is similar to your drill motors & should be OK for the actuator too. You probably could get away with a higher rated (5S) lipo too. Keep in mind that this particular model uses a XT60 connector so you will need to pick up a XT60 connector so you can plug it into the robot. You will also need a proper lipo charger.

There's a couple of threads on here about starting off with lipo's. I'd strongly recommend reading those first before committing to anything.

Scarrosaki
    BristolBotBuilders put a nice little guide up, go to the 'Drive Circuit' section on https://bristolbotbuilders.com/guides.html

Would recommend reading through the entire guide as well though.

Hey, glad your going to be getting underway wth the robot again.

Comet, a FW robot uses the argos battery to power the robot. Is a good starting point, considering you would have 2 batteries from the 2 drills already. But it isnt ideal for powering a weapon too.
    I use a 2.65 4s lipo on my bot, and that uses about 40% a match and thats with an electric axe. I also have a 4s 3.3a battery, but this is an additional 100g.

Regarding the drive, the Botbitz 80 amp esc are good and very reliable. Comet uses the 30amop ones if i recall - thats not my bot so just remembering.

Alternatively you can reprogram your own esc simply using a usb programmer and a particular brushless esc, so you could do it half price, i will update this post with esc info when i fInd it.

William Cadwallader has some nice build videos of his robot too, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBQ...Y8ygoeZ9dlWxDA
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 14th June 2019 at 09:27.

Team Kaizen

Regarding the drive, the Botbitz 80 amp esc are good and very reliable. Comet uses the 30amop ones if i recall - thats not my bot so just remembering.
    Yes, Comet uses the 30A versions of the ESC.

Not the same weight class but Jibril uses 10AWG wire with a pair of 4S 4200mAh LiFe batteries to drive both the drive and the Scythe (should probably be looking to change that). In previous iterations of The Honey Badger, this was 12AWG using 2x 2100mAh 3S LiFe batteries. In your case, the wiring is probably going to be simpler if you are only using the one drill battery.

I recently built a wiring loom for a fellow competitor which I guess yours may end up wanting to look like.
    simple_wiring_loom.jpg

If you wanted to add in a line for a weapon from the same battery, I'd splice in an extra positive and negative wire at the ends.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 13th June 2019 at 11:58.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment