Register To Comment
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

McMullet
    Yes, the drill output shaft has a 3/8" UNF thread. I think a lot of people use a brake union fixture as a hub, as they are quite long (so they can go all the way through a wheel). The outside is a 1/2" hex.

I used circular inserts (from here: https://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/38-u...el-50571-p.asp) press fit into scooter wheels. Scooter wheels unfortunately have quite hard tyres so may not be the best, but if you do use them I think Yak wheels are quite cheap and are reasonably soft. You'll need the 22mm OD inserts, and there's a flange in the middle of the wheel hub that has to be drilled out with a 22mm spade drill.

Scarrosaki
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamST180 View Post
    Looking at wheels now, I have gone through several build diaries on here and people seem to be using scooter style wheels mounted directly onto the drill motor shaft, seen people use 3/8" inch threaded inserts, are they the right size threads to fit the drill motor I assume?

Trying to get everything in place for W/C 29/07 as booked the week off work to finally get something built
    yep, we usually use those fittings, and heat press them into nylon wheels using a drill press (or you can bodge a rig with a couple of G-clamps). Then just cut and screw a bicycle tyre to the outside of the wheel and it's happy days.

McMullet
    Ellis Ware made a nice how-to video:

Or there is this vid i made quickly for someone

Team Kaizen

When I was originally getting my charger, I was puzzled by how to power it as well. Luckily, some folks do sell a power supply for it (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Sup...0/223447307905).

The wires it comes with cover a lot different types of battery connectors, you'll need to know what sort of plug your battery has and wherever the charger comes with it by default or if you need to get an extra one, like I did when I needed a XT90 connector rather than the bundled XT60 connector the charger came with. If you are building/buying an Antweight, the JST plug on the multilead (the 2 pin red rectangle connector) is the one I usually go for.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Redirect Left
    Team Death use these chargers. The power input is a standard DC jack, so any power adapter with a DC jack at the end will work, as long as it is between 11 & 18 volts out. The more amps the adapter can provide, the higher your charge rate (up to the maximum of the actual battery charger), we use 4-5A adapters.

Spare laptop charges may be advertised as DC jack, or look very similar, but they are quite often not the exact right fit despite being on eBay with 'DC jack' labelling, and at worse, they might fit but have the positive and negative reversed within the charge jack (yay proprietary things).

The LiPo battery itself will have the majority of cables you need attached to it, always make sure you have put the balance plug in the right port of the charger (there will be lots, for different cell count batteries), and, make sure you have a lipo sack/bag to charge in, on the off chance the battery catches fire, it is unlikely but always safe, and if you start going to events, you'll definitely need one at that point.

The charger has many different charge modes, for many different types of battery. You can even charge a car battery! (which I had to do when my car died )
    photo_2019-07-10_13-35-49.jpg
    (this is the previous model, that I have. Basically the same, just without LiHV charge capability, and runs a bit hotter due to no built in fans)

Just be sure you've got the charger in LiPo mode, as it might not be smart enough to detect if you have selected the wrong battery type, and it might damage the battery or worse.
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 10th July 2019 at 13:57.

Team Kaizen

Just be sure you've got the charger in LiPo mode, as it might not be smart enough to detect if you have selected the wrong batterty type, and it might damage the battery or worse.
    I've accidentally done this from time to time. The charger defaults to LiPo but I use LiFe batteries and I can confirm it isn't smart enough to know what battery type it is connected to (and I am not sure how it would ever know) so I have started off charging LiFe batteries in the LiPo mode, which if I didn't check, would probably cause a smoke show. Luckily hasn't nuked any of my batteries yet.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment