Register To Comment

Thread: The future of a school's HW robot.

Hello folks

I could use some advice. I've been working with a group of students on a HW robot since September 2016, its taken them a while (they had to learn to weld and plasma cut first!) but they are now about ready to go. They even have their team shirts waiting!

The students really want to compete, but I don't know how to achieve that. If anyone could advise how to enter a HW competition I'd appreciate it. I know a lot of teams are flying all over the world to fight, which is something we'd consider, but if there's anything closer to home that would be great as well.

If you'd like to see the teams progress, here's a link to our Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/bradfieldrobot?lang=en

Thanks

Dan

Live events.

Extreme Robots and Robots Live both organise heavyweight live events that tour the country. Their websites are in the banner at the top of the page.

Look through their events, Contact them and ask where to sign up ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-27 View Post
    Hello folks

I could use some advice. I've been working with a group of students on a HW robot since September 2016, its taken them a while (they had to learn to weld and plasma cut first!) but they are now about ready to go. They even have their team shirts waiting!

The students really want to compete, but I don't know how to achieve that. If anyone could advise how to enter a HW competition I'd appreciate it. I know a lot of teams are flying all over the world to fight, which is something we'd consider, but if there's anything closer to home that would be great as well.

If you'd like to see the teams progress, here's a link to our Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/bradfieldrobot?lang=en

Thanks

Dan
    As Garfie said, Live events. Two closest to events to you are Manchester (which is one week away so not likely) and Granthem in June,

Have a look on Robots Live and Extreme Robots event lists but they are much further away

Good work, live events is a great place to test the machine.

I must warn you, the signups for Manchester close the Wednesday before the event

Thanks all. That’s exactly the information I needed. Manchester will be too close for us, but I’ll apply to the event in Grantham. I’m assuming the Robots Live arena permits robots with spinning weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-27 View Post
    Thanks all. That’s exactly the information I needed. Manchester will be too close for us, but I’ll apply to the event in Grantham. I’m assuming the Robots Live arena permits robots with spinning weapons?
    Robots Live Does not permint spinners, there arena cannot contain them safely so you would have to disable the drum. it is worth doing it as is an experience either way but if you want to use the durm you have to go to a exterme robots event.

http://www.extremerobots.co.uk/live

Team Kaizen

The next EXR event is in Portsmouth on the 19th-20th May. If that is too far, EXR Guildford is on the 9th and 10th of June. I should stress that Extreme Robots have a limit of HW spinners tip speed, which is 125mph from memory so you'd need to be able to limit the speed (and not by just throttling the ESC either). Robots Live, as noted, don't allow spinners - I'd personally remove the drum and fit something else in its place for those events because even without a spinner, a live event is still easily the best (read: safest) way to get some experience in.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment