Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attitude Adjuster (Beetleweight)

Team Kaizen

I have flashes of Bourbon and Ion in my mind, yeah, they might make it in.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Made quite a bit of progress since the last update, so I have a lot to post here (evidenced by the fact I maxed out the images that I can attach ). Apologies that all the images are sideways :/.

I have access to a laser cutter that can cut perspex, so I made a drilling template for the side bulkheads, based on my CAD. I drilled out the holes for the side bulkheads and then used a Forstner bit to drill out the holes for the drive motors, making a satisfying shaving as they did so.

IMG_9829.jpgIMG_9828.jpgIMG_9825.jpg

I then added the threaded inserts to the back of the side bulkheads and drilled holes in the rear bulkhead using a similar method. However, the holes didn't quite line up so I had to use a Dremel and needle file combo to make it fit. Then I could fit the drive motors to the side bulkheads and attach the rear to the sides!

IMG_9895.jpgIMG_9899.jpg

Then I was ready to attach the front to the sides. I decided to use the "really long wood screws" approach, so drilled out pilot holes and then attached them.

IMG_9900.jpg

...And then I realised that the front was upside down. Oops. Anyway, I put the chassis on the right way up and attached the Fingertech foam wheels and had a rolling chassis to decorate the spare room.

IMG_9901.jpgIMG_9902.jpgIMG_9904.jpg

I decided to make use of the laser cutter to make a perspex prototype of the weapon bulkheads, again based on my CAD, so that I could see how the components all fit together. If only I could laser cut the HDPE and polycarb for the rest of the robot! I only had access to 3mm perspex so I had to make 3 layers per side. I jammed all the components inside the robot after putting together the perspex weapon bulkheads and realised that it's going to be a tight squeeze with the wiring...

IMG_9913.jpgIMG_9907.jpgIMG_9912.jpg

With the robot looking vaguely robot shaped, I was about to go on holiday for 3 weeks. However, before I left I decided to cut the polycarb baseplate using a mitre saw. This was a mistake, as the sheet of polycarb shattered, and bits went flying everywhere. Safety goggles are important, people. I learnt that I should've used a jigsaw to do this. Oops. This was the result.

IMG_9918.jpg

When I got back I focussed my attention on the baseplate. I again cut out a prototype in perspex, and duct taped it to the bottom of the robot. Again, if only I could do the rest of it in the laser cutter! I used that to cut out the real baseplate out of polycarb, using a jigsaw this time. I discovered I can't cut straight at all, but I've made it work for this. I decided to attach the baseplate using brackets similar to Fingertech's Nutstrip (https://www.fingertechrobotics.com/p...?prod=nutstrip). Sadly, this isn't available in metric, so I made my own. I had two bits of 6082T6 aluminium bar stock, which I drilled M4 holes at 12mm intervals. The first one seemed straight enough, but the second one went a bit wonky... I'll probably scrap that one and do it again.

I finally made enough to be able to cut it into strips small enough for me to attach the baseplate. I went for 6 bolts, 3 at the front and 3 at the back. While the weather outside was "taps aff", I was doing some tapping of my own. I eventually tapped enough brackets to be able to attach the baseplate. I now need to update my CAD to take these into account.

IMG_0332.jpgIMG_0335.jpgIMG_0333.jpgIMG_0322.jpgIMG_0337.jpgIMG_0334.jpg

Today I worked on the wiring. I made a wiring loom for the main wire, which includes a removable link. I stole the method of attaching the ESCs to the main battery from somewhere, but unfortunately I can't remember where. It involves crimping ring connectors and attaching them together using an M3 bolt and nut. I then put everything together and once again had something that I can scare the cat with.

IMG_0352.jpg

As I saw earlier, there isn't a lot of room to play with in there when you add in the wires, so I'm a little worried about that. One possible option if space is tight is to swap out the Sabertooth for Vex 29s or Botbitz 10a ESCs. A lot of builders seem to be wary of the Sabertooth, and it's a little bit big and heavy. For now though, I'm glad to have something robot shaped. Tomorrow is the last chance I'll have to do something uninterrupted, before I have to go back to work. I'm planning to tidy up the wiring and possibly try and do the weapon bulkheads. I need to finalise the design for that piece, or I might just start building and see what I end up with...
    Last edited by scott; 27th June 2018 at 23:54.

if using conbolt drills, go slow and use lots of coolant. i was able to drill through 3.2mm Hardox with some cobolt drill bits from Toolstation - about £3-5 each 5mm-7 about

Lots of progress since the last update. I've been accepted for the Euros with Attitude Adjuster, so that gives a good deadline to work towards.

I cut some weapon bulkheads, using the tried and tested technique of the table saw and the mitre saw. I used a 20mm forstner bit to cut out some holes, and measure the distances this time instead of laser cutting a template.

IMG_0723.jpgIMG_0724.jpgIMG_0725.jpg

The biggest game changer is learning how to use the 3d printer at the hacker space. It only uses PLA, but that should be enough for what I want to use it for. I started with a battery holder for the 3S lipo.

IMG_0763.jpg

Then I made a holder for the electronics at the back of the robot, so they don't get in the way of the weapon. I also made a couple of armour mounts. I put in some threaded brass inserts using a soldering iron. I also put some brass inserts in the chassis to hold the weapon bulkheads on, and to hold the top armour.

IMG_0789.jpg

Today I finally got around to finalising the design for the axe and cutting some titanium! I used my Dremel to cut it initially, then finished with a hacksaw, and drilled with a cobalt bit. Going slow with lots of lubricant made it super easy, and there were some fun sparks. I now have an axe head.

IMG_0912.jpgIMG_0909.jpgIMG_0911.jpg

I weighed the robot chassis for the first time, the bolts and brackets must weigh more than I thought!

IMG_0897.jpg

Also considering going brushless. I tried the axe for the first time with a 300rpm gearmotor and was disappointed with the power. It was slow and couldn't self-right. I picked up some brushless DYS BE1806 motors that have already been converted with 1000rpm gearboxes, and I'm considering transplanting the 300rpm gearbox onto one of them. I also have a 500rpm motor as a last resort. I also picked up some cheap Afro ESCs on ebay and flashed them with SimonK.

When testing my flashing, disaster struck! I accidentally plugged an Afro in the wrong way, and promptly blew it up. The battery also doesn't seem too healthy (feels a bit swollen :/) so I'm planning to not use it again in case I burn my house down, and have ordered a replacement. I will now not do anything with a lipo unless I use the wiring harness that has a fuse and removable link.

Finally, been doing a lot of soldering. Added connections to all my ESCs so that I can't plug them in backwards. I also need to make my wiring loom A LOT smaller. There is not a lot of room for the wiring in there. I have about a month until the Euros and not much free time in September, so I will have to try and make time when I can!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Kaizen

I don't recall tethers being a thing at the BW level, best check with the event organisers. Certainly at the UWE Beetle Brawl in February, I can't remember seeing any but then again, I don't recall there being that many axebots around.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

If I remember rightly, tethers are more for Grade 3 arenas and lower (aka non-spinner) so the tether is to prevent the axe head, or part of the shaft, flying away if it breaks off and potentially breaching any wall or netting. As far as I know it's not required in spinner-capable arenas as a flying axe head will have much less danger potential than the amount of shrapnel that gets pinged about. To my knowledge there aren't any active/regular beetle arenas that aren't suitable for spinners, so you should be fine. If in doubt, contact the organiser for any events you're planning to attend.

Register To Comment