Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Shrekt

Been a long time since I last posted on here, but I thought I’d share what I’m up to right now. Any of you on Facebook will probably have seen my Featherweight spinner “Get Shrekt”, it’s a big green thing with an Inertia disc that likes to throw other feathers into roofs, which, came as a surprise to me!. Since it first appeared at Maidstone it’s been sitting in my garage unloved, so with Manchester just on the horizon I thought I’d give it some tlc and bring it along.
    7161902E-AF0C-4F40-8363-B2F330E0FB6E.jpg

Shrekt was finished in a rush for Maidstone and, as a result it had some things that were a bit suspect/not as good as they should have been, so I’ve been going through it and fixing the things that need fixing. I decided that the majority of the chassis was probably fine to keep, however the side panels needed to be redone, so they were the first thing on my list, they’re 25mm hdpe and also act as the mounts for the drive motors.
    5F567898-788A-48B2-9374-6AB95F5048F2.jpeg

Next up was the mount for the brushless motor that spins the disc, because I was in a rush last time I used the cheapo Aluminium mount that came with the motor. On a particularly big impact it twisted something rotten, so I needed something more robust.
    F4040615-0034-4E2E-93A0-E7007C3CE7AD.jpg 90056445-CC3E-4180-AFCB-5D60056925DE.jpg 9D833CDD-CCB1-413A-B160-8ED634B5663F.jpg

Enter this little fellow on the right (old mount on the left), it’s made from 5mm 6082 Aluminium and is substantially stronger than the old one. Hopefully this will allow Shrekt to give big hits without bending out of shape. The next issue was something altogether worse, I discovered at Maidstone that the weapon shaft had been spinning in the bores, wearing away at the material and making the belt lose tension. So to fix this I made up a shaft lock, that threads onto the end of the shaft and the bolts into the bulkhead. This both stops the shaft spinning and acts as a mount to keep the shaft in place. It’s made from 15mm 6082 Aluminium, that I cut with a hacksaw then drilled using my new pillar drill, then tapped it to m12. I can’t tell you how useful the pillar drill has been for making parts like this, I couldn’t do them without it.

8B78E8A5-A5D5-4720-BF49-4EE2C8712059.jpeg 74923056-4AAA-4352-8717-70D5C5DF0C45.jpeg FFC4DFA6-3EB1-4280-9C13-46B8696D6F89.jpeg

Thats all for now, but I’ll try to remember to post the rest of the upgrades as and when they happen.

Cheers,
    Sam

Team Kaizen

Ooooooohhhhhh.... its back! I look forwards to seeing this at Manchester if it makes it.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

great, I may have to face this at me first event =P Speaking of which where is the entry forms for Manchester ?

Team Kaizen

Done a bit more on “Shrekt” over the past couple of days, mainly beefing up the chassis. Previously it was held together with screw In threaded inserts which I just never trusted, so these have been replaced with barrel nuts as I’ve used them for years and never had a failure. I’ve also made a start on the wheel guards, these protect the wheels but also help to minimise the gyro when turning.

4E972228-CF32-44D0-97A3-4810AFA30F7F.jpeg F58ECD94-EEC5-4CCC-A785-DF8267EDDCF2.jpeg

More updates to follow

Cheers

Team Kaizen

Looks like it is coming together nicely - curious though as to how the guards help with the gyro effect?

They help a couple of ways tbh, firstly they make the robot wider and secondly, when Shrekt had exposed wheels there was nothing but the wheels to lever against when turning, hence the amount of gyro. The wheel guards basically act as a stop point for when the robot does gyro.

I tend to cut all my plastic now with a hand held panel saw then clean it up with a rasp and file.

Register To Comment