Register To Comment

Thread: Motors with encoders

Hello all,

I have been waiting a long time for some motors on backorder from Robotshop and was wondering if I could use an alternative. I have seen some with encoders from another source that are otherwise identical. Now I had no idea what an encoder was, but after a quick Google I see that it's a 'speed feedback loop' - does this mean I can use it without the encoder, if I don't need the speed data? Or alternatively is it easy to connect it to a RX on a telemetry channel?

Oh and Happy New Year!

Team Kaizen

I assume you can use the motor without connecting the encoder, the motor is still fundamentally *a* motor so will spin if the appropriate wires are connected up to a power source, just you wouldn't get any data from the encoder.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 4th January 2018 at 00:03.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Triceratop
    The encoder is an add on, as Michael suggested it is for feed back to a control system. The encoder is useful if you wish to keep both motors running at the same speed etc or control the speeds of the motor individually. But you will need some fancy control system. If not required, why not ask if they can be removed, this may reduce the cost for you.

Register To Comment