Register To Comment

Thread: Ikea Chopping board for extra armour?

Hi All,

We're on a shoe string budget and were wondering if this stuf is worth bothering with?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/c...-art-90202268/

All our materials so far have been found or donated. The chassis is made up of steel twin slot shelving uprights bolted together, with 6mm Aluminum tread plate sheet bolted onto the chassis for our armor. I was thinking of bolstering the tread plate with some HDPE and gluing HDPE panels onto the tread plate. Or is this not proper HDPE?

Many thanks everyone.
    Ed

Chopping Boards tend to be LDPE (IIRC) but it is still usble, but it might worth seeing how much some HDPE from direct plastics will cost compared how many Chopping boards you need.

HDPE doesn't hold treads well plus it doesn't glue well either.

The ways i have seen it uses is either using screws or bolting it through either into metal struts or into threaded inserts

Redirect Left
    DirectPlastics is where I got my large 2000x500x10 sheet from, they're very decently priced for all sizes though; https://www.directplastics.co.uk/hdpe-sheet

You'd need more than 7 to get a meter square. Still cheaper though, hohwever you'd have the cracks and less flexibility in cuts/sizes. If the panels are small I'd be tempted.

was just about to say the product description says its 1.3mm thick! but then realised it was 1.3cm! looks good may have to look at getting some?

Oh and as it's a chopping board so there are all the usual colours too at the same price. Blue, White, Yellow and Green. Didn't see red though.
    Last edited by Deathly Hallows; 7th November 2017 at 12:16.

I have one for actual chopping to save my nakiri knife

Register To Comment