Register To Comment

Thread: 259-b

Just realised there is a build diary section ! So here is the beetleweight underway.

It's based on the trilobyte design but converted a bit into metric, I'm on the way now for a chassis by the weekend, botbitz ESC arrived last week, but have been a week so far in Heathrow customs. I'm hoping to have a rolling chassis running. Also had some hubs on order but they have been delayed two weeks as well so might have to turn up some copies.
    I started with a 3D print to check sizes and then cut some HPDE for the rails. To clear the motors I just used a blacksmith 25mm drill which has a reduced shank to fit the pillar drill. Opened it up first with a 12mm stub drill. Panels are from 1.5mm ally , which the jigsaw cut clean with a metal cutting blade, some lubricant and the oscillator turned off
    3d-mockup.jpgchassis blanl.jpgcutting chassis.jpgdrilling rails.jpgchassis start.jpg

It's also been nutstrip factory time as well. 1/4" ally bar and I start out with a stout centre drill to locate the holes so at least the drill doesn't wander, then follow up with a 2.5mm drill and tap them out to 3mmnutstrip centre drill.jpg tapped nuts.jpg

Awesome you're building a beetle version Adam! Any light you can shed on what kind of a disc you'll be running?

For now its just going to be a 4WD shovel. Practice for building and driving. If all goes well then I might have to think about something with a vert spinner, although I always fancied some whyachi style rotor.

Remaining fingertech snap hubs arrived today, so should have the rolling chassis all together and running this weekend. Sadly the botbitz ESC are still in the heathrow customs. 10 days so far

Register To Comment