Register To Comment
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shrapnel - Feather Vert Spinner

Team Kaizen

Looks very fancy. :P Would love to see this realised one day.

It's less of a sequel and more of a redo, since in terms of design the main body is exactly the same, except now it's HDPE instead of Hardox, which saves a lot of weight and should be tougher.
    Are you making the main frame out of HDPE and then skinning it with Hardox? That is what I am doing with one of my robots.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Looks very fancy. :P Would love to see this realised one day.
    Cheers, and dw it will be! Hopefully soon, it should be at events sometime mid-late next year, possibly sooner if all goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Are you making the main frame out of HDPE and then skinning it with Hardox? That is what I am doing with one of my robots.
    Not really, the main chassis is just HDPE aside from the crossbraces at the front which are Hardox, the wedge/wedgelets etc are Hardox and they bolt onto mounts on the front of the chassis
    Last edited by Revsmin; 1st August 2021 at 17:55.

McMullet
    The gold detailing is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by McMullet View Post
    The gold detailing is gorgeous!
    Thanks! It took a really long time to draw it all, should be just as much an ordeal to get it on the actual robot when it's done haha
    Last edited by Revsmin; 7th August 2021 at 03:53.

And so it begins, as ever, with a box full of watercut metal:

They ran out of Hardox so this is all Armox instead, god bless

See you all in like a month when the rest of it arrives and I can start building, may even be able to have it ready for the last Dojo of the year if I'm lucky!

Aha hey so I forgot I had a build diary again! Progress has been a lot slower than expected because ~money~ but she spins and she drives and she was gonna be at Dojo on Sunday but there were literally 2 robots going so it's off, anyway maybe I'll do the next one and maybe also Extreme Robots we'll see how things work out

New weapon motor is a beast, check that spinup time!

And she's functionally finished!

Still got the paint to do but that can wait until after Dojo, I've got enough to do to get her alternate setups ready as it is!

I took her to Colchester to get some testing done on a steel floor to see how she'd drive with the magnets, and the answer is better than anything I've ever driven. She also got an opportunity to do some damage in a proper fight:

The baseplate wasn't attached properly since I didn't pick up the parts for it until the night before and found that some of the holes didn't line up, so when I lose sight of her I throttled the weapon down to avoid it hitting the floor and sending her flying which unfortunately is why she got stuck! I've sorted that now so it shouldn't happen again
    Last edited by Revsmin; 5th October 2022 at 15:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Leongordon234 View Post
    I have read through the whole build, seems you have tried to keep the electrics simple which is great for reliability which you have proved
    Thanks! Yeah simplicity is the name of the game, the more complex you make something the more likely it is to break so I like to keep my bots as simple as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Leongordon234 View Post
    How thick is the hardox? did you have any weight left over?
    All the armour is 4.2mm, and the disc is 12.5mm. It's under 13kg with the current heaviest setup so a decent amount of extra weight for upgrades or changes

Register To Comment