Thread: Electric Axe featherweight - first build of FW

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Sam
    Robots
    Ensign Wedgeley Crusher (FW)
    D'oh! Shame about the paint.

Other than that though, looks great - I've enjoyed skimming through the thread and will come back for a proper read later! Good luck in Portsmouth.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Nat
    Robots
    Wanna Choppa (Axe FW) Short Circuit (HW RWs6) Locking Wheel Nuts (AW) DELLapidated bANTtery (AW) Lo
    Thanks McMullet,

So having opened up the bot and realising the battery wasn't in the robot when i weighed it, it means current setup is now 45 grams over weight. I think the additional wiring looms and paint have added to last years weight as well as the additional hardox plate over the battery and weapon motor.

Im not happy about the amount of hardox on the side panels, although it looks good, i may sacrifice one of the sides and replace it with a flat panel of hardox, hopefully removing about 100g off the weight, currently each side panel is 950g in a folded 'dome' shame, so flattening it out will decrease the amount used.

Also i did weigh it with the biggest battery, my 3.3amp 4s lipo, which is 100g heavier than my 2.6a 4s and my 2.3a 5s battery, so i may well be reusing these in battle instead of the heavier.

Addition i removed a small section of battery protection hardox - this was added after Al and his crusher showed that this was a potential weak point at last years Portsmouth event, so i reduced the cover here and saved 45 grams, so, in fact if i don't do anything, the 100g battery and 45g plate saving will bring it under by 100g. Will still look at other areas i can shave off weight.

If i go brushless on the weapon motor, this will greatly help as that battery weighs 1kg shy of. the front wedge is 2kg, side panels are 950g each and the back weapon cover was 1kg.

One thing i am interested in asking others is how much does their welded hardox chassis weigh in comparison to a HDPE chassis and then looking at the designs of the way the chasis is constructed in Hardox to overcome the weight disadvantage and maximise the strength across the whole chassis. I was comparing density stats last night to work out a way of replacing the side panels so it got me thinking about this.

Register To Comment